Pasta gives me cramps but not bread

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have not had a bout of ibs for nearly a year and have been introducing foods which i thought was the culprit ie gluten foods. i started with pizzas and had no symptoms then bread white then went onto brown breads and still no problems. i have also started eating Weetabix and shreddies and still no symptoms. i then tried spaghetti Bolognese and thought i felt a bit ill as i do when i get ibs and a bit of pain lower left side gor a few days but nothing i could really put my finger on .then had a lasagne. this properly gave me the ibs symptoms and feel lowsy with migraine, pain in stomach and lower left abdomen cramps. does anyone else have a reaction with pasta? i was thinking it may be because it is made with durum wheat perhaps.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I find pasta is harder to digest so can give me a feeling of bloating and discomfort. Or it sits there and doesn't go through the system well. I think this then causes issues and i get a headache as i feel constipated.

I need to do a lot of exercise to burn off pasta so don't eat it that often.

• Posted

Both lasagne and spaghetti bolognese have onion and garlic in them which are both ibs triggers. So if bread isn't a trigger for you, the pasta may not be a problem. Try a bland sauce with it and see if you still have the same problem. If it was a ready made sauce you used or a ready meal, there can be a lot of sugar added to these which can also be a trigger.

• Posted

im fine with onions and garlic and use both regularly so doubt its that. ive had pasta in a salad and felt poorly. it feels like ive been kicked in the left hand side of abdomen and feels bruised and hot.

• Posted

Try gluten free pasta next time, they can make rice pasta, lentil pasta and chickpea pasta. It is not going to be exactly the same, but you can get used to different things over time.

• Posted

coeliac disease is auto immune, not everybody reacts the same way to everything, much like ibs. it's possible it is not gluten and in a lasagne there is more than just the pasta, it is possible you"ve reacted to something else. if you suspect this is coeliac disease then you'll need that thoroughly investigated. i wish you luck trying to discover what happened who knows what it was....

• Posted

thanks sam. yes could be something thats in the lasagne and spaghetti Bolognese sauce and not the pasta. whatever it is its pretty lethal cos feel terrible. just glad i only get couple times a year.

• Posted

When pasta is cooked its structure changed, when it cool it changes further and when reheated further again. These changes create more resistant starches which are harder for us to digest but bacteria in your large intestine will break down creating gas and bloating. The structure of bread is slightly different but you might find frozen pizza harder to digest similarly because frozen pizza's are part-cooked. You might also find the same for reheated potatoes such as reheated cottage pie. You might that fresh pasta instead of dried pasta is better - so pasta from a restaurant is fine. Hope that helps.

• Posted

hi jason, anything starched or bleached could be worse. if you try brown does that help or will it? maybe try it? sorry don't have problems with any of this now due to being coeliac, just wondered!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.