Patches Not Lasting Three Days.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My dose of 75/hr is not lasting for 72 hours,  a couple of days, 56 hours at most.   Been on this dose for 3 yrs now,  phone chat with Dr last year was negative, was told the dose could not be increased.  Take Oramorph only when I get desperate. 

No faith or trust in GPs any more.  In my 60s and live in fear of even the dose I am on now being taken off me due to age.   

Not got a life worth living the way it is at present,  anyone out there with long term experience of patches / dosage and age related considerations,   your experiences would be welcome.

Warmest regards

Jessie.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have experienced same thing regarding my patches at times. Seems that there is no rhyme or reason as why it happens. My dr gave me the "odd" look like she didn't believe me and I got very offended. Seems that it happens to me with 1 to 2 patches out of my 30 day supply. I usually have a patch that won't stay on too. I told my dr I ended up taking my hydrocodone pills to help smooth it out. She didn't seem to have a problem w me doing that but I do. It's bad enough to be on these patches but if I want to function then I have to.
    • Posted

Hello jore,   I also have the problem with patches not sticking on so use dressing tape to ensure that they do.

It is bad being on these patches,  having to top up with other meds is not good either,  Drs don't seem concerned though as you say.   I worry constantly about being taken off them for whatever reason a Dr comes up with, we really are at their mercy with drugs and pain control.   I guess I will just have to live with it and as you say function best way I can.   It's not right though.

Thanks for your reply jore.

warmest regards

Jessie

• Posted

I am on 50mg, patches and like most they only last for around 50 or so hours, so i am used to that sort of uours now and i just place another patch on the other arm and continue, also take tramadole and others
    • Posted

Hello Mike,  thanks for your reply,  is your Dr alright with you  using extra patches after 50 hrs,  are you monitered at all as to how many you get through a month?    My Dr just tells me to top up with Oromorph which I have to do but am not happy with.  These are strong meds and becoming tolerant  of them causes me a lot of worry.   Fear of being taken off them for what ever reason is always  at the back of my mind.  

warmest regards

Jessie

• Posted

Hi, I was placed on fentanyl patches in 1996 after been on a syringe driver for many years prior, due to failed back surgery. I am now on 200/hr every 48hrs, authorised by my pain consultant many years ago. I also have oramorph for "top up pain". In warm weather the patches don't stick so I use mepore tape. My body is now used to the dose I do not find it as effective  as it used to be & my increased use of oramorph makes me more drowsy & constipated. I'm in my 50s & find life at times a real struggle.
    • Posted

Hello Karen,

thank you for the reply.  I am sorry to hear that you are also finding life a struggle,  these patches, while good when first given are excellent pain relief but where do we go when our bodies have grown tolerant of them??.   I don't like the oramorph,  it stops me from sleeping and I am afraid of growing tolerant to that as well,  it does help a lot with the pain - But!     

The tape I use is Micropore, made by 3M for sensitive skin,  it is good both for keeping the patches on and for it's wearability without causing additional problems.

Wish I could offer more than sympathy and understanding for how you feel,  for the constipation,  have you tried 'Lactoluse'   it is gentle and very effective,  I get this on prescription as needed but have found that I only need it when I have taken the oromorph,  am so tolerant of the Fentanyl that it does not cause constipation any longer.

I don't think my Dr would increase my patches to 48 hours instead of 72,  have not asked mind!  but am so unsure of them (Drs) now that I am reluctant to anyway even though I do feel it would improve my life if they did.    It is a real struggle,  and day three plus waiting for the new patches to start working gets me down very low.

Best wishes to you Karen.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

I struggle with this as well. my dr said it's normal and could change my RX to every 48 hours. I am a long term no end available to my pain so I'm very careful about my usage and don't want to be medicated that heavily so my dr approves this method... you cut the patch in half and put the first half on then after 36 hours you add the second half. I've done much better this way and don't get the highs and lows near as bad. I promise it helps

• Posted

Hello Victory queen,

I could not manage on half my usual dose,  it would make life worse I am sure.  It takes approx. 8hours for the Fentanyl to build back up in my system when I put the new patches on and I'm ok then for about 50 - 56 hours before things go downhill.  

What I have found in the last week - 3 patch changes,  is that by putting the new patches on at 6 or 7 AM helps,  it means that I am spending about 10 or 12 hours in bed - as in the night before, then after putting the fresh patches on I go back to bed for about 6 hours and am feeling good when I get up.   I lose half a day but it does not matter,  nothing important is going on anyway.   I do get sleepy as the Fentanyl goes out of my system so being in bed sleeping works out fine.  It also helps with the sweats and discomfort being in bed,  I will keep on with this regime for a few more week/months and hope it stays as it has done these last 3 patch changes.  My GP has me on a 50 and a 25 patch, don't know why they have never given me a single 75 patch.

Thank you for your reply,  I hope continue to get good results from the method you have.  I agree about not wanting to be heavily medicated,  when you know the pain is never going to go away - probably in fact get worse it is something that must be considered,  life still has to go on the best way you can make for yourself.

Wishing you all the best.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

jessie,

I sympathize with you as I too am on Fentanyl patches, 150 mcg every 48 hrs. I go to a pain clinic in a large hospital in Boston Ma., and I think the benefit is the research, and top notch Doc's.  I have the fear Jessie, I believe its natural to be with chronic sickness/pain...  Please think about going to a Pain Clinic with Docs who are trained. They support you, and insist your seen every month.

I hope some of this info helped, and know your not alone. confused

• Posted

Hello just2rob

thankyou for your reply.  I am in the UK and it is a bit different here, I guess if I was a private patient or had an insurance paying for my treatment things would be better all round.   All my GP has said is keep taking the Oramorph,  I am scared to and only take it between patch changes - not a regular time schedule,  just when I can't  manage with the pain and withdrawal.  This is because I do not want to get dependant on it,  another drug I am afraid would get taken off me at a whim plus I still need to function with a clear as possible mind, that is laughable!   the pain and withdrawal do nothing for my state of mind, and the knowledge that this is all I can ever expect for the remainder of my life..........      worry pain and withdrawal.......  thats all there is to life now.

I hope you continue to have good care and your pain does not worsen with time.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.