Patches of short hair

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was hoping anyone had some information for me. I am a 27 year old male in good health. After puberty I've noticed patches of short hair on my legs that seem to come and go. They aren't bald patches, aren't circular, and I don't have hair loss in the family. On the contrary everyone in my family has had thick hair till the day they died. I never gave these patches any mind until a patch started on my wrist about 2 months ago. The patch is healthy looking hair that grows about 1/4 the length of the hair around it. It's gotten slightly bigger since then but the hair hasn't fallen out or grown any. I asked my dermatologist during a routine mole check up about it and he said "it's just your genetic variation" with no other context than that. I have searched online but all I have been able to find is articles about hair loss with no mention of shortened hair, and as I said the hair isn't gone it's just short. The dermatologist didn't seems like it was a big deal and we both don't think its alopecia as I don't have any balding. I just really want answers as to what this is, whats going on, and if the hair will ever grow long again.

Does anyone have any answers?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I know a woman who has a patch like that on her head, it's a rather large patch and the hair just grows very short there. She's had all kinds of tests and nothing ever shows up, so I'm thinking your derm is probably correct in his/her assessment.

Why don't you manscape and shave those legs! Just kidding, I don't think you need to worry.

Be happy it's not alopecia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.