Patella break - 29 days postop

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. My physiotherapist says my mental disconnect with my knee is slowing my recovery process. I'm feeling a little down about this (I'm doing my exercises religiously) and hope that people here might have some advice for me. I've read so many posts and replies and have already found so much invaluable advice. Thank you. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It will get better most of us have had that. Just keep doing your exercises and keep pushing yourself. I'm almost 3 months and remember that stage. You are only 29 days and it is early in your recovery. Hang in there and keep on working on getting better.

• Posted

Never heard that psycobabble before. You hurt and that's not uncommon. Pain is natural but it go away with slow steady work. Its a balance of excercise, rest, medication, hydration, icing and elevation. Stay faithful to all of these starting with enough medication at proper intervals and going from there. You will get better but don't let anyone set a timetable because everyone is different.

Hang in there...we're all here for you

• Posted

Hi , I m at 10 weeks, and I was doing so well, now feeling thightness, and was talking to my P.T. and he said the same thing my brain is not accepting my new knee, but it will pass just keep positive thoughts, massage knee, execise every other day, strecht every day ... still thight but hoping ...soon will get my head and leg together !

• Posted

Thank you. He's kind of right in my case, I'm horrified by it every time I look at it, but I'm working on it. Thanks so much for your advice. 

• Posted

Hi Jasmine

I'm with OFG on this one. Concentrate on your exercises, ice, rest, elevate. Oh and just believe in yourself. You will get through this, when you are ready.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

This is a first and I have thought about it for a while before responding. I have had both knees done in last five months and can understand the sentiment of the message. I think in the beginning I felt like "they put a knee in my leg and it's causing all these problems". It is a foreign object after all. I don't think it's getting your brain and knee to connect, I think it's coming to term with the surgery, shock to your body, incision and scar, pain, helplessness and having to rely on people, loss of independence, feelings of disparity and anger at times, 24/7 of feeling "it", etc etc. I didn't realize the total impact it would have on my life for months and months and months!!!! Who can possibly really be prepared for it, even though you read and listen to everything and everyone before. You think you are ready, then reality slaps you!

Walk a 100 miles with my new knee, then tell me my brain and knee aren't connected!

Keep working on recovery, mind and body. You will feel better and like your self soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. My knee op was the result of an accident so what you've written makes sense to me. 5 weeks after the accident and I'm still surprised that my holiday went so wrong. Now I'm dealing with the impact on the rest of my life. I have tried so many suggestions from this page and am very thankful that I found it. I did all of my exercises on the schedule my PT recommended and I was in so much pain that I realise that I need to go at my pace, as long as I am progressing that is the main thing. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.