Patella realignment surgery after TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Its been over 7 months since my TKR. After the first month my knee cap had slipped to the side. I have been wearing a brace with no success. My surgeon said I need surgery to align the knee cap. Anyone on this site who has had this surgery?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi i had patella realignment done about 4 months ago its much better than was previously i had patella button resurfaced recovery is much the same as tkr i waited 2.5 years to get it done docs kept sending me to physio who caused a lot more pain ask the docs for a sunrise ex ray they can then see what's happening i think all the trail and error cures caused more damage

good luck

• Posted

Hi Alan, from what ive been reading it looks like it is a 6 week recovery process similar to TKR. ive asked for a 2nd opinion as my current surgeon realigned the patella when he did the TKR and within 4 weeks it had slipped back. im looking for a surgeon with more experience in my problem. My current surgeon said he hadnt seen this happen in years. I'm hoping it happens soon as i still need a can for walking and I am not very stable. Im going to the gym annd doing all my exercises. I tried working out in the pool but couldn't walk as the water pushes on the patella and its hard to move. Very frustrated.

• Posted

Hi some surgeon's don't resurface the patella button on the back of kneecap and some do

mine didn't so after physio for ages had to have this done mine was very successful i used to have the feeling my knee would explode with pressure on trying to bend it walking down stairs was not possible also knee bend is greatly improved was walking on it the next day and 3 weeks after no sticks hope this helps ps all the gym work wont help if its not tracking in the groove of the new joint

• Posted

If I to walk downstairs my knee wont support me. My knee bend is fine but i cant do leg extensions. Its like a bar stopping the extension. I'm also very unstable walking. I'm doing the gym to keep the rest of my body in shape. But i do focus on 30 mins on leg strength...riding a stationary bike, leg presses, and the hip abductor. Funny before the TKR

my patella was on the side and i had no problems other than the knee pain from bone on bone..

• Posted

Hi its good you are going to the gym to keep strong but i must admit i did a lot more leg work

before and after both ops i still do about 30 mins 3 times a day just on the knees ive had both done ive found since the realignment the more you work them the better they get also the more body weight you carry the harder recovery is and im a heavyweight good luck

• Posted

wow...3 times a day.....thats a lot of working out. i had hoped to exercise in the pool to build muscle strength but the patella wont let me move the knee.

• Posted

Hi when i said about the exercise i didn't mean star jumps and squat thrust most of the exercises can be done whilst watching tv with cheap rubber exercise band check out knee replacement exercises on you tube good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.