Paths to Recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Here's some of the ways people I know have recovered. These are people in my life, not third-party stories.

-Chinese herbs/acupuncture

-Several courses of antibiotics

-Self-help, working on psychological trauma in childhood; also going on a special diet

-Going on a vitamen regimen (I don't know specifics) and resting.

-Just resting

-Seeing Dr. Cheney in U.S., who has an integrative approach

-Getting gamma globulin infusions

-

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Never heard antibiotics working but everyone is different I suppose

Also look into: 

EFT

Hypnotherapy

Rigid diet, cutting out red meat etc..

Amino acids

Antioxidants

• Posted

I believe that Keith Jarrett, the jazz pianist, followed an antibiotic regimen to recover. I could be wrong, but I infer this from articles I've read about his recovery. Also, I saw a doctor in LA who tests for mycoplasma infections. If any are found, he treats CFS/ME with several courses of antibiotics. This treatment, though, can be very harsh--espekcially on the stomache. I opted not to do it.
  • Posted

I know 6 people who have fully recovered.

Two just rested .

one took a massive vitamin regime lots of vit b 

one took marigold extract on a trial. 

One did light exercise on a program rested and took vitamins and echinacea .

one had therapy and saw a herbalist 

its positive to think of all those you know who have recovered ... Most were ill for over 3 years . 

Sometimes wonder if the body just heals itself over time and you just keep trying everything possible to recover and then your better.. 

Nice post .... 

• Posted

It seems like there are many paths into this disease and many paths out of it.
    • Posted

I have thought that too. When you say recover, do you mean _ will always have to be careful but can now work part time, keep house etc_ or _is completely symptom free and can do anything they want?
    • Posted

I think  the meaning  of recovery varies as much as the illness itself.  
  • Posted

I know of one lady who recovered to about 80% through homeopathy.

She had ME for 2 years.

''It seems like there are many paths into this disease and many paths out of it..''

-So true. Maybe the ultimate healer is time, but we are all impatient, who wants to be unwell, i have accepted the possibility only time will heal me, as long as i eat well, take all my vits, exercise, do what i can. To me it would mean whaatever causes ME/CFS is really serious if it takes the body this long to heal the damage.

But we MUST be open minded to ALL possibilities in terms of having recovery. I mean there are many people diagnosed with ME who actually have lyme disease but they only find out years later.

• Posted

The only information I found was dated in the early 90s, nothing else after that. I am sceptical to antibiotics but would not dismiss it if someone produced credible evidence. 

I have also worked with 6 people and currently helping 4 on a friendship basis. Tailoring the recovery to the person is critical. 

This time last year Hannah was bed bound and sensitive to light. What worked for her was EFT and balancing her amino acids. One year later she is able to walk around the house, not sensitive to low light levels and even has a part time job man.

• Posted

Personally i feel when everything else has been ruled out ALL CFS/ME sufferers should be asked to do a 1 month course of anti-biotics, specifically doxicycline because if you research poaaible causes of CFS, doxicycline can deal with many of them. From lyme disease, anaplasma, rickettsia, mycoplasma,chlamydia pneumonia, toxoplasma gondii to name some of the main suspects. Within this time you would improve enough i am sure to know if i was doing you any good.

Check out the Dove Clinic section on CFS on passible causes.

• Posted

I know a few people too who have recovered - 

1 just rested and slept they took 3 years

1 did it through homeopathy and cutting sugar - she had it through school but is now fully recovered at 35

1 did it through pacing and resting and she took 2 years

1 through Mickel Therapy

I thik the antibiotics will only work if its bacterial and not viral...How does cutting red meat help? I thought meat esp red would be important for iron and protein

• Posted

Cutting back red meat reduces the risk of heart, liver, kidney issues.. the list is endless. By regulating what you eat and making the body become less toxic (how long does it take to digest red meat??) which in turn helps in the recovery process. They never totally cut meat out, more just had red meat ocassionally rather than everyday. This can be said for anyone, not just M.E. sufferers.

Just a note to remember is that eventhough there is no cure, people can control it so that it will hardly effect them in life. The mention of being'fully recovered' is not accurate. 

• Posted

Thanks Darren - i only eat red meat about 3 times a week - i thought you meant totally give it up and wondered about this...i understand how it can be bad for heart / liver etc...When i said fully recovered, she claims to be fully recovered, however I know whst still suffers fatigue time to time and headaches still, though she controls this...she is a lawyer and works ridiculous hours a week...i dont think any of us can ever be back to what we were and its about living and coping with what we have...its hard to accept this though 
  • Posted

im 18 months in - i have tried homeopathy, vitamins, amino acids, chiropractor, diet change - juicing, cutting gluten, CBT, meds, GET...none of these have worked for me yet
    • Posted

Jackie did you stay on these long enough ? I say with anything new bad reactions aside we need to give it at least 3 months. I'm not asying this is you but i see people (myself) try something for a week or 2 or 3 then say, nah this is not working.

I'm a big fan of juicing and have started that again, along with soups and fruit smoothies with lots of berries and hemp protein.

• Posted

Jacquie--there's a fine line to walk here, and I'm still learning, even after several years with this illness. On one hand, I want to keep an open mind and try various treatments to get well. I want to stay positive and hope for a good outcome. On the other hand, if treatments haven't worked, I do my best not to get into self-blame. I'm doing the best I can, and it's not my fault if something doesn't work, even if it's worked for someone else. It can sometimes be hard for me not to compare myself with others who've succeede in getting better. Also, while I have hope one the one hand, my goal is to have acceptance on the other.
    • Posted

David and Jackie speak sense. Trying things out can take a long time for the benefits to appear. Aminos can take 2 months to notice a difference at least.

Truely believing in what you are doing and having a positive mindset are major key drivers in any recovery method. Trying it out of desparation or just because someone said it worked for them is not the way. Take your time and carefully research and plan an attack. 

• Posted

David: I made a decision (right or wrong, I don't know) not to go on the antibiotics because my stomach is so sensitive. I didn't want to create digestive problems where there were none. I think juicing is a great practice. Also, I just saw a documentary on Netflix streaming, "Forks over Knives," that advocates for  a vegan diet. I was almost there anyway, but not I'm eating way more like a vegan, avoiding dairy. I learned from the film that a plant-based, whole food diet can be a very healthy way to go. I realize, though, that everyone has their own path on what kind of foods help them. We're all finding our own way, as best we can.
    • Posted

Hey Jackie, i'm not keen on anti-biotics anyway, especially as they disrupt the flora in our gut. i've not had any dairy or gluten for many years. The only thing i have stopped since my illness was juicing, because i had no energy, i am slightly better today, and also TCM was against alot of raw foods so you don't know where to start, or do we ? I remember when i did my 3 month juicing phase how good my body felt, especially on green juices so i'm going back to that very soon and have high hopes for it. Listen to your body i think is the best most important thing we can do, and it's free. Right forcing myself out the door for a 2 hour walk on country trails, that's the plan. I'm pretty sure now with this disease i am in this for the long haul.
    • Posted

Whoa! I can't begin to imagine walking 2 hours. It sounds like you're in a beautiful area, with country trails. We live right in the foothills, with a trail starting right by our house. Can't walk it, right now.
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie, i managed to do about 90 mins, then went to the local Sainsburys and back which took another hour. So very pleased. But very tired right now, i feel the wall of tiredness hits me at about 4'ish. It was scorching hot here so i feel better in the sun, probably got too much.

Wel you can't walk it....not yet right ?! I just take one day at a time, if i am vertical then i move as much as i can. I'm getting to know my new limits in order to make new ones.cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.