Patient information

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I have just read my patient information leaflet properly. Recovering from gynaecological surgery. St George's Healthcare NHS Trust.Its actually very good. Exercise - . First 10-14 days gently move around home. Go out for a walk every day starting with 10 minutes building up as able to 1/2 hour a day by 6 weeks. From 6 to 8 weeks, low impact exercise like swimming or Pilates. Avoid sit ups & other advanced abdominal exercises. Delay high impact exercise for 3-4 months, aerobics running etc. lift nothing heavier than a full kettle for 6 weeks. After that avoid anything that makes you strain. Lots more eg bend at knees, usual manual handling health & safety advice. I will start going out tomorrow I think just a 10 minute walk

hope this is useful

Sue

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Sue! That is great information. I have to say that I should probably read over the papers I got when I was released from the hospital again now that my head is clear and mostly off the painkillers. I am had my surgery 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I had Anterior and Posterior repairs along with the Perinoplasty. The biggest problem I am having is doing too much, but feeling like I shoud be doing something. I think using this guildline I will be able to judge what is enough better.
    • Posted

Hi Kristy, I shall probably keep reading mine. I may move  along a bit quicker but is good to have some sort of measure. They may be erring on the side of caution but that's fine by me. Good luck

Sue

• Posted

Hi Kristy, As someone who had exactly the same operation as you, but 13 months ago, can I confirm just how important it is to curb the desire to be up and about doing all the things too soon. My friends sister in New Zealand has just had to have the operation over again because she didn't listen. 3 weeks is still very much 'early days' for you and this really is a crucial time to let swelling reduce and everything to heal and settle inside and out. It was 10/11 weeks before I really began to get back into my routine but still managed to rest a lot. It all went to plan and I am so pleased I listened to the advice of others. Now everything below is absolutely wonderful and I can't believe what a difference having the surgery has made to my life. Normal bedroom activities too resumed around the same time; with great care of course. Well done on your op but please do take it easy and sit with your feet up as much as you can during the day. It'll be worth it. LadyPink
    • Posted

Wow & the Sho wanted to send me back to work after 4 weeks. I am wondering how I will be after 6 in my job. Oh boy those youngsters I run rings around are in for a shock when I start letting them do all the heavy stuff from now on.One of the ladies done on the same day as me only took 2 weeks off, and as annual leave because she works in a male dominated Govt dept & didn't want anyone to know or to affect her job prospects. We told her she was being too optomistic, & she was a redo as she had failed slings. The poor women woke up with a supra public catheter in( one from the belly). I am wondering now how she will get on shunted all round London every day. I seriously think it's pamper time within reason of cours. Fortunately I don't have young children, my 17 year old although not exactly helpfully is fairly independant. 

Sue

• Posted

This is interesting to know. I was not given any leaflets. It suggests walking 30mins by wk 6. I'm just past wk 3  and  I have been taking it easy most days and just walking round the house. On the odd occasion this last wk I have walked slowly round the supermarket. Upto 2hrs. Today i am uncomfortable maybe too much walking? 

Donna

• Posted

Yes too much walking Donna. Dragging heavy feeling seems to be the result when you have stood/walked for too long. 
    • Posted

Clearly you have to build up to that. I aam doing a little bit of something each day. Yesterday I changed my beds & washed & tumble dried everything. Today I cleaned my main bathroom. Everything at a very slow pace, & nothing that requires any straining. I am making sure I get on my hands & knees rather than crouching. It's my perineal suture line that's giving the most problem, that & going to the loo too often. I have just put some clothes on & I am going to walk up the lane with my daughter to the station. It really only be 10 minutes, but some slight incline. I am finding now I am not tired enough by bedtime as I am resting more in the afternoon. That's not good, that's a bad habit I can't afford to get into. I was hoping to pop to M&S with my husband on Sunday (assuming I can actually sit in the car) but I will be careful as to how long I am on my feet now having read your comments. 

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.