patient stopped breathing the other day while having a colonscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

I wrote in a few months ago about how when I had my last colonscopy in March I stopped breathing not only once but twice

I work in a hospital where they do the colonscopy so the other day theres a code called only to find out a patient was having a colonscopy and was given to much sedation since he was moving and stopped breathing--just like what happened to me

the only difference being they got me breathing again unfortunalty not the case with the patient--he unfortunatly did not make it

he was the same age as myself

people just cant figure out why I freak out so bad at having these done--this is why

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

This is exactly why people should just say no to this barbaric procedure.

• Posted

curious what would you suggest as alternative? Surely an hour of pain is better than potentially dying a horrible slow death over a year from bowel cancer?
    • Posted

If you have a family history go ahead. I wouldn’t.  But to have one JUST because you turned 50 is insanity

• Posted

They could give you a general anaesthetic but they won't because it's too expensive and takes too long.

• Posted

I’ve had two colonoscopies done in the last 3 years and I hated having each one. As the last one came back as everything looking healthy, and biopsies are clear, then that is it for the rest of my life. I am not having another done and will just let nature and fate decide how the rest of my life will unfold.
  • Posted

Surely this is a rare incident though? Did the patient have any underlying health issues?
  • Posted

Good Morning:

The patient should ALWAYS have the choice to go sedation free. Just have an IV inserted for pain if needed. Many places won't do it without sedation because they want the patient as compliant as possible.

Do your research. Find a doctor that is experienced using the pediatric scope and uses water instead of air to inflate the colon. It's easier on the adult patient.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

I bet you may have a mental disorder that can cause you not too wake up when you have intermittent explosive disorder that can cause you not to wake up something happen too me but last year I had alot of health problems. This year I have lost alot of weight and I done the colonoscopy and woke up and have had half my colon removed and woke up from that. But it's either you could have health issues that caused that or a mental disorder.

• Posted

What I am saying is she could have a mental disorder that could have caused not waking up or health issues from that I did the same thing when they ran a tube down in my throat last year they found bile in my stomach I was sick from that but that was the first time that had happen and I told a RN at this most recent procedure I had done I done that and she said it was caused from having IED which makes alot of sense now but she also said if you have health issues it can do that as well.
  • Posted

How about the doctor screwed up?  
  • Posted

This is nothing have half your colon removed I just did this on July 16th and that Robotic Surgery is excellent to have done I did it and went home the next day you can't do any lifting or do anything strenous for 6 weeks but hey I am going on a month now and all my stitches are gone I had a 5 cm poylp and they can not remove that with a colonoscopy they do have medicines too also to wake you up if you did not know that you know now. They have them here in the USA.

• Posted

I had sedation but it was so light that I remembered everything and so painful giving birth would have been preferable. They removed a large polyp which was benine and I have a torque bowel and diverticulosis. Ive instructed my GP to ensure it is on my notes that I will never have another colonoscopy! It seems because a couple of people have stopped breathing or, sadly, died, they are only giving tiny amounts of sedative which has no effect on the excruciating pain having a colonoscopy causes. It's barbaric!

• Posted

Yes my mother in law has that diverticulosis she has had quite a few issues I have had half of my colon removed they found a 5 cm poylp large they could not remove that threw a colonoscopy thank god I didn't have too wear a bag.If I would not have had that removed it would have turned into colon cancer.

• Posted

And I go back next year to have another colonoscopy the worst part for me is the prep not everyone dies f om having that the only thing I did have was the room spinning around and not in much pain it only took 20 minutes when you have a family history however you got too have it done cant get out of that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.