patricia

Posted , 4 users are following.

i went for mri scan and they caught a shadow of a cyst then just had ultra sound and was told it looks like a dermion cyst of 5 cm cant see doctor till thursday as results wont be back and today had letter for me to have a CA125 blood test i am 69 yrs old and i feel so very anxious as i was told it is rare for older people to have cyst any one been the same

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, same age, had it removed last year, try not to worry, I was told I had probably had nine for years and not known.
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, I'm 74 I had a cyst removed, plus ovaries and tubes last year. The tests all came back negative for cancer. I had the op via laparoscopy, (keyhole surgery) and healed fairly quickly. 6 weeks is about the norm if you're thinking of having the cyst removed. I requested the oophorectomy as my mother did have ovarian cancer and I thought it best for me. If you are anxious you can request removal of cyst but may have to wait some time if they consider it 'non urgent'! Best wishes, Poll x rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna thanks for replying when you say tests what kind of tests do you mean ultra sound and blood test I seen my doctor yesterday and he said that the ultra sound showed it was a dermion cyst and his words"nothing nasty" so I feel better and blood tests back on Tuesday the ca125 but have got to wait to see my gynecologist as I am on his list as patient anyway with a prolapse bowel which gives no problem and thankyou Laura 3333 for replying thanks

• Posted

Hi Patricia. When cyst/tissues are removed they are sent to lab for tests to check for malignant cells, all part of the service! Mine showed NO malignancy as do most of them. My grandaughter had a Dermoid cyst removed when she was about 21, and recovered quickly, soon back to work. If you search Dermoid cyst in the search box at the top right of this page it will give you more info. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, I had a rectocele repair done at the same time. I requested the cyst removal while I was under just to get rid of it as it was growing, I had a lot of adhesions from previous hysterectomy and the cyst was wrapped around my ovary, so that was why that was removed. To be honest the laparoscopy for that was nothing really, the rectocele was the bigger op.. If it's a dermoid cyst, they are usually made up of tissue, and like your dr says nothing nasty, please don't worry too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.