Patulous Eustachian Tube only with high intensity workout

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys,

Years ago (in 2016 or so) I thought I had ETD but after searching again on my issue I stumbled upon PET (which describes 100% about the problem I have).

My symptoms only arise when I have a high intensity workout. Because I also suffer from depression I always worked out intense to feel way happier and even on most days I did not have the motivation at all I still would go because I literately exercised of the mental stress that comes with depression.

My symptoms of PET started in 2015 and got worse in 2016 when I had a middle nose-bone correction surgery (which I actually did for sports).

Anyway, since 3 years I'm unable to exercise like I used to and I can only do low intensity cardio and most of the time it's nowhere near enough to fight off depression.

Because I live in the Netherlands there is no known treatment for PET. The ENT's in the Netherlands doesn't even care if you have PET because of this and send you home with nasal spray for breathing problems.

I was wondering if someone else have PET only when exercising and if there is a cure/treatment for it?

Also, if someone answers outside the EU can you please notify me what you exactly use and if it's with prescription or not to order from the US/Asia or wherever?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Maybe the extreme workout was too extreme and put a strain on your body

I know walking is gentle but if you can get anywhere PRETTY with nice scenery and birdsong etc it can be very therapeutic to be surrounded by nature plus do the walking

Or other MODERATE form of excercise which may not release as much endorphins but slower and longer may still be better

I do not know about any treatments for PTD as I have had ETD for 7 months and to be honest I think mine was brought on by STRESS

I find doing whatever I can to switch of my brain and de stress helps and for me it is the opposite ie RELAXING helps and I was looking into going to a salt cave and a flotation pod but both of these thins relax my mind and breathing and it is a different sort of endorphin kick as when I am walking in nature I do get that feel good factor but instead of a high do you think a moderate release of endorphins or some other therapeutic activities or therapy would help?

I think maintaining that high would be difficult and to be honest dangerous to your health

• Posted

Have you tried Patulend? it works for many folks who have PET. Its a type of acidic nasal drop which irritates the eustachian tube and forces it to close. I did try it with no relief but if you google info about it you will see it does help some people and may be worth trying. I also used SSKI drops which my doctor prescribed and they seemed to help more than the Patulend. My PET is not straightforward though because i also have SSCD. i recently had round window surgery for my SSCD and also a shim inserted in my eustachian tube to help keep it closed. This apparently has also helped others with PET. No improvement so far at all so I'm as frustrated and depressed as you. I still get on the treadmill every morning and just try to tough it out...I'm more concerned about trying to keep healthy and avoid aging issues otherwise since I'm 56. Hang in there and don't give up! Wishing you find something that will help you!

• Posted

Hey @CrazyOverCats thanks for the info!!

(I guess you are from the US?)

First time I ever heard of PatulEnd. It might indeed work for me but it's very expensive though, price including shipping to the Netherlands 135USD for one bottle, so instead of 2 bottles for 1 I can get 1 bottle for the price of 2 haha. Though I have noted this one.

SSKI drops I can get fairly cheap from Amazon, I have also noted that one.

I had to look up SSCD, the symptoms seems exactly like PET though.. But with eye movements as another added symptom?

I've had depression since my 21st and I'm now 35 years old. The thing with cardio is that I am used to do it for weight loss due to gaining weight from medication but it barely fights off the mental stress from depression. With only cardio sometimes my depression gets even worse and even when I'm back at the peak level cardio it does help with mental distress but I'm unable to keep on doing it for a whole year because it's just not my thing to do as a fulfilling and satisfying workout. I'm more of a HiiT, BodyPump, Bootcamp and Kickbox workout type that likes to literally fight off depression.

It's really a sad thing that the EU doesn't even has a treatment for PET and SSCD like disorders. The UK which does treat PET (and the canal surgery you had) is luckily close and right now I have a friend in the UK looking into the treatment/cost options for me.

If you or someone else have more suggestions for PET treatment please let me know!

• Posted

Hello.

Yes this can happen to me also, I notice it when I am weightlifting the most. Certain strenuous activities can cause an increase in chest cavity pressure. This can easily overpressurise the nasal cavity and in conjunction with straining muscles in the neck, pulls open the eustachian tubes. That's my theory anyway.

I quite like it when it happens to be honest with you, because at least I know my tubes are opening. My ETD means I have retracted eardrums and at least when my tubes go patulous I know some fresh air is getting in. Shame I can't replicate it manually, or I'd be able to scuba dive which is my ultimate goal. I learnt last year then had ear problems after.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.