Patulous Eustachian Tube Question

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All. I actually live in the U.S. but this was the most recent forum I could find. I was wondering if anybody else has considered air pressure changes as a cause for Patulous Eustachian Tube? I have been dealing with this for several years, close to 8 or 9 now and recently it seems like my ear bothers me when pressure is low. I plan to start writing down the weather patterns day to day and see if I can find a correlation to the days/weeks my ears bother me. Just wonderig if anybody has thought of this or has similar experiences with weather the prevelance of your ear trouble. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

Yes, unfortunately pressure changes are a part of life. You can drive up the street and the pressure will be different because of the elevation changes. Pressure also changes as the evening falls in, when you're swimming underwater or taking off/landing in a plane. If your eustachian tubes worked fine, you would hardly notice these changes, but when they are clogged up you will notice and suffer from all of these. Have you had any tests done to try to diagnose your ETD?

• Posted

Yes! I have intense sensitivities to elevation and pressure changes. I live in NYC and it is quite difficult. Can't do a lot of things. I wonder if there is an ideal place to live?

• Posted

I think weather plays a huge role. Humidity, air pressure it effects this stuff...allergy maybe. Fluid in the sinus or ear and tmj effect this too. I am so confused what the point of being an ent if they barely fix anything.
  • Posted

Treatment for autophony / patulous eustachian tube dysfunction 

Nasal spray IPRATROPIUM BROMIDE (.03%)

I was so afraid the was no treatment.This so far has been a LIFE SAVER. smile

I don't think it was created as treatment for this specific condition in mind, but it works non-the-less.

PS Stay away from nasal sprays that are for decongestion (Ipratropium Bromide nasal spray is not a decongestant.) 

This so far is the only thing that has helped my autophony / patulous eustachian tube (when I talked, my own voice was loud in one ear, and I could hear my breathing/ it felt like I had a bucket over my head.) 

*I have not noticed any bad side effects so far

*ENT's advice when spraying into nose- two squirts in each nostril. When spraying, it helps A LOT if you spray in the correct direction. This helped me: for each nostril: Visualize the back of your ear and aim the first spray back and outwards with that in mind (as if the spray was entering your nostril and going all the way back to behind your ear.) 2nd squirt: Then angle the bottle inwards towards your nose, spraying deep back into nose again, but this time inwards. (If this is confusing let me know.)

I have just started this regiment and wanted to share what helped me as soon as I could for anyone else suffering. Autophony / PET is HORRIBLE, I know. This stuff works amazingly, but it requires daily use. I want a permanent cure. So I am going I am going to try estrogen ear drops which are meant to enlarge the fatty tissue around the Eustachian tube (the autophony is caused by it staying open when it shouldn't.) I will update as soon as I try the drops. 

-Cait 

• Posted

Hi, I was just wondering how you got on with the estrogen drops? Im looking at different options, I’ve had this now for about 2 years it’s a real pain! 
    • Posted

I have patulous eustschian tube, left ear. I’m using estradiol nasal spray. I had it mainly under control but it came back after a couple of winter illnesses. I’m having a hard time getting it under control. Tell me about atrovent.  Was this suggested for you to use by an ENT. Are you using estrodial spray also? 

I’m trying to put some weight on. I’m thin and lost 4 pounds. This started after I had an upper respiratory infection and was given days of decongestants. Would love to hear of your progress. 

• Posted

Emma, the drops are helpful. Gaining weight I believe is greatly beneficial. I did not realize I had lost 5 pounds and on a small frame that is a lot. 

I had totally gotten control of this and was only using drops occasionally. After a stomach situation and then the flu it came back with a vengeance., Unfortunately, I have a component of dizziness when tubes open. I’m determined to get control of it. I practice yoga which also helps..

• Posted

Hi fran, 

Thanks for your reply. After cutting out different foods and trying all sort stuff of new daily products like washing powders perfumes etc nothing seemed to make any difference. I too have lost a significant amount of weight, I joined the gym 2 years ago which was great but over the past six months the problem with autophony etc has been significantly worse so I stopped the gym 3 months ago, hadnt made any difference.  I read online that the oral contraceptive pill could cause this so 3 weeks ago I stopped taking it after 8 years! I sm do happy to say I haven’t had symptoms now for 2 weeks! This is s first in so long I’m praying this is what the problem was? I’ve also stopped using my electric toothbrush and haven’t had tinnitus? I was using fluoride toothpaste which I’ve also eliminated so whether that was also contributing who knows but I feel so much better lately. 👍

• Posted

Good morning. Are you using the ipratropium bromide and estrodial spray together? Same day?? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.