Paxil

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Paxil 30 mg for over 40 year For Depression n Panic Attacks!

. I was also prescribed Xanax- 1 mg

I want to get off the Paxil, since situations in my life will never change. I take Xanax 1 mg As Needed, , once a month OR WHEN I GET PANICKING! especially when I travel!!

Why Do I Need Both?? 

I’m So TIRED IF TAKING MEDS

ESPECIALLY THE  PAXIL! Should I ask my doctor for only Xanax n ? 

I’m so tired of Paxil that i don’t even think it has helped me, since I’m taking 

Xanax!! Help !!!!

Oh by the way, my psychiatrist 

Just Retired!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I would say if you want to go off your Paxil do some research first.  These meds are no joke and can cause a lot of difficulty when trying to go off.  I have been tapering Paxil for almost a year now and still have quite a ways to go.  I would suggest googling antidepressant withdrawal and read some of the info.  At least that way you can make an informed decision.  Many times people try to come off these meds and experience a return of their anxiety or depression and assume they need the meds when actually they are experiencing withdrawal.  The slower you come off, the more time your brain has to adjust.

Good luck!  I think you can get off the meds if you do it the right way😊

• Posted

Hi Jane, Thank You For Your Reply! well my Dr. retired n my new dr

Has me on Prozac 20mg. and .025 mg Klonopin

I have been using the Prozac only for over  8 weeks n I had been doing good but this last few days I have started feeling very anxious!!! I know it has side

Effects ! Do you know of anyone who actually has been on Prozac longer then 

6 months? 

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I agree with Jane. You need to research, weighing up the pros and cons for coming off Paroxetine.

I was on 40mg for two and a half years, and 40mg Mirtazapine 2 years before that.

I am slowly reducing the dose, I wish to have children and I am a lot better in myself. I’m in the right enviroent and am going down to 10mg in 2 weeks (started tapering early August)

There is no harm in weening yourself off but do it slowly and have constant communication with your GP.

Drugs may suck but I am sure they have eased the hard times in your life, they are amazing and I am glad to have gone on them - especially when you cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel.

But it’s a shame what side effects they bring and their withdrawal but just see how you go - only you will not how you feel inside and if it’s a right decision to make

• Posted

Oh Bless You Jill ! You sound so young!

Yes pills suck ! But , Like You Say  they help Ease those anxieties that we sometimes cannot handle ourselves!

Depression is a mental disease, BUT, ITS

SO TREATABLE THIS DAYS !!

I’m Not Ashamed, Some People 

Whom I’ve overheard say 

We are Just Crazy! These people are

Just not Educated about this subject!

Some are So Ignorant! That’s Ok

It is What it Is !!!

I have a dr. Appt in Jan . So I’ll see how

It goes . 40 yrs is such a long time for me!

I’m a very happy Wife, Mother, grandmother n I LOVE LIFE! 

I’m so Blessed That my husband, WHOM 

I HAD TO EDUCATE ABOUT 

DEPRESSION N PANIC ATTACKS

Is So Patient n Understanding, as Are my children n Family!

( Oh by the way , We Are 7 Girls In our

Family n WE all Suffer from Anxiety!!)

I Really Think it is Heredity !? 

So glad To Read That you Are Doing What You Are Doing For Yourself!

• Posted

I've just tried to transfer from paroxetine to mirtazapine. Was a withdrawal nightmare so now back on 10mg paroxetine. I'm so traumatized from that attempt I can't decide whether to try coming off everything (v slowly this time) or to stay on paroxetine for safety, despite the fact that it's probably getting less effective for me. Would love to share some ideas to try to get a clearer idea of what to do. I feel really stuck and your ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Do we all struggle with this one?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.