Paxil

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was prescribed this drug to help with my mood swings/ anxiety, but I mostly need it for anxiety. Anyone have experience with this drug? Does it help with anxiety? Thanks! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

U just got prescribed this to for generalized anxiety disorder and I’m not sure if I want to take it bc I have been on Prozac and Zoloft both and didn’t like how it made me. Curious to kno too
    • Posted

I would not take it but you ned to discuss with your dr. I am not of the take and put up with side effects they will wear off brigade. I know differently having researched the subject extensively . No one can force you to take any medication, has your dr suggested cbt, counselling, mindfulness, yoga, meditation relaxation techniques. 
    • Posted

How do I tell my doctor that I don’t want to take this ? I have been on Prozac and Zoloft. Before didn’t like how it made me feel . She said it works wonders to start off in half of one for a week then go up . 
  • Posted

It can help with anxiety but be careful, I put a lot of weight on with this tablet very fast. I put on 2 and a half stone in 5 months with this tablet. It raises your insulin levels so avoid sugar and alcohol. It also lowers your blood pressure so you might feel dizzy and faint I did a lot! Going on it and off it can make you feel rubbish too. I would recommend speaking to a psychologist about your anxiety as well because taking tablets does not cure the reason for why you are anxious to start with, it just treats the symptoms. You need to get your blood pressure checked regularly as well. It can really help but make sure you take care of yourself as well.
  • Posted

Paxil is an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) medication which is prescribed mainly for depression. I have been on it for over 25 years, since I was diagnosed with clinical depression at 38. It has worked fantastically on my depression.

It tends to 'lighten' your mood by reducing the speed at which serotonin (a brain chemical) is reabsorbed by your brain neurons. Researchers discovered if that chemical is reabsorbed too fast it promotes depression in some people.

If the cause of your depression and anxiety (they are related in most people) is related to serotonin absorption the medication will work very well for depression and somewhat well for anxiety. It is definitely better for depression than it is for anxiety, but it will help somewhat with anxiety.

The problem with anxiety is most of the medication that works really well with it-mostly mood tranquilizers like Benzodiazepine and Valium-are addictive/habit forming. So Psychiatrists like to see if you can get by on one of the SSRI medications which are much less of a risk from an addiction standpoint. 

I'd say give Paxil a try, it may do the job for you. You'll have to give it 3-4 weeks to really feel the effects and to get over the temporary side effects.

• Posted

Thanks for the info/advice! I’ll likely give it a try. I’m really quite nervous prior to taking any drugs and medication because I don’t know how it’s going to affect me. I’ve had the drug for over a week now and I still haven’t taken it... 
    • Posted

Relax, your doctor probably started you off with a very low dosage, like 5 or 10 mg/day. Most folks do experience some side effects, like tingling in the face, vibrant dreams or the like-when they first take it. Not to worry, those side effects won't last more than a few weeks. If the medication works for you it will take 2-3 weeks before you really start feeling better. Stay in touch with your physician and keep him posted on any side-effects you may be experiencing. Good luck.

• Posted

I would follow your instincts. If u feel uneasy taking this drug and with very good reason I can't see it being beneficial to you anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.