Paxil Hot flash / hot skin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It was my first time using paxil.. My doc prescribed 20mg twice daily. I took it on Thursday afternoon and 2nd dose at night. Next day I wake up fine but 30 minutes later I get a hot flash. Almost my whole body got hot... My skin feels like it's burning.

It's gotten alittle bit better but it's still their. Has anyone had this problem? How long does it take to go away? My pharmacist said it's too high of a dose and I should start at 10mg

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Seems like a high dose to start with to me too. I used to only take 10mg once a day.
    • Posted

rolleyes wow no wonder I feel like crap. The pharmacist said its most likely the body is shocked from too much serotonin. I hope it goes away soon
    • Posted

I would call your Dr office and ask if you can take one 20mg a day? Also ask why such a,high dose. Mention the pharmacist thought it a,bit high too.
    • Posted

I'm just Gona quit it completely I've only taken it one day. I'll prob go on Celexa that worked last time. I kinda got scared by looking at what people say about Paxil.

Has it worked for you yet?

• Posted

Paxil worked years ago when I took it for menopause.

Celexa commonly known as Citalopram is what I am on and have only bee taking 17 days. I do think it is starting to help. I have heard that it makes some people more stressed the first month or two. I am on a very small dose of Ativan that seems to be holding the negative temporary side effects of Celexa at bay.

• Posted

Ook your lucky you have Ativan sad I got nothing lol. Yea I remember Celexa made me feel better in 2-3 weeks. When I switched from

A GP to psychiatrist .. He took me off Celexa and put me on Mirtazipine and some other med.. I gained 100 pounds in a couple months.. So I was kinda trying to find something that has minimal weight gain. He gave me Paroxetine

• Posted

I gained about 10 pounds with Paxil. Celexa is not supposed to have as many side effects as any of the other similar drugs.

I wonder why they didn't give you Celexa again since it worked good for you before.

Ativan is highly additive so I use a very very small amount. .750mg a day. I break the 5mg pills in half and take three half a day. Will then be easier to break from them when celexa kicks in totally. At least that is the plan

• Posted

That's good. I used Xanax .5 and that got me through the day but they won't give me anymore. Most of my anxiety is head pressure / Lightheadedness / brain fog all day everyday now so it sucks I have to wait the 4-8 weeks for Celexa to kick in.
    • Posted

My anxiety is in my chest area, tightness, hard to breath feeling heaviness there and feeling like I have a belt tightening around my ribs where my bra is.

I recently had a 90% blockage in my heart and had a Stent put in. So now when I feel something funny I start getting anxious thinking it is my heart again.

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear that.. I can't imagine how much anxiety that can cause.. But when the Celexa kicks in I'm sure you will be fine and you will be back to normal and your body will reset so you don't get those symptoms. I find chest stretching is good for any anxiety chest pain / irritations I'll send you a YouTube video of a good exercise to prevent chest pain / anxiety.
  • Posted

I'm sorry not Paxil

I'm using Paroxetine

• Posted

Go back to see your doc
    • Posted

I called they said just stop and start new meds in 3 days. I'm still having the burning this is annoying sad
    • Posted

No idea.. He said he was Gona send it to the pharmacy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.