PCNL

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm having PCNL on 5th April for a very large stone in bottom of left kidney. Feeling very anxious about the operation and wondered how recovery is . I'm 64 yrs old never had a kidney stone before . Any advice greatly appreciated thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had this surgery to deal with my kidney stones at the beginning of December last year.

I was in hospital for a week.

Had a catheter in for a few days and a stent in for a week.

Quite uncomfortable and had really bad stomach ache for a few days.

Was sick a couple of times.

Having said all that I am now fine and glad I had the stones sorted out.

I am slightly older than you 67.

Good luck with it all. Thinking of you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarahxx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah they said could be in hospital up to 5 days .last time they put a stent in after trying to get stone out with the shockwave procedure it was uncomfortable. How was your wound did you have a drain in? How long was recovery after you got home. I am usually sick after anaesthetic. 😔 will keep you updated xx

• Posted

As I said stent in for a week that was the drain.

I did have to go to GP surgery and have a couple of stitches taken out but that was OK.

I felt really sick due to anaesthetic when I woke up . Nurse tried to give me some anti sickness but having given me a small amount of it I immediately came out in a rash. "Sorry" she said "You're allergic to this you'll just have to be sick!!."

Recovery at home was a bit slow, I would give it 6 weeks or so before you really begin to feel yourself again.

Sarah xx

• Posted

I too had much anxiety, my procedure was easy, stone came out hole.Inwent home in the evening and never had any pain. I did come home with a stent which was removed a week later. The stent was annoying, too two tyneol and went about my day. I hope you experience the same as I did. I told someone my divititiculus caused me much more problems. Good Luck
    • Posted

Thank you Barbara it's so scary think I will take some remedy to calm me down . How big was your stone do you know ? I know I'm in for surgery first thing 8.30 am

• Posted

Hi Lesley Ann, I'm sorry you're so upset about your upcoming surgery, but I can understand, because I felt the same way last year. I was 74 at the time (much older than you), and I had my first Kidney Stone. It started out as a 7mm and by the time the doctor was finally able to blast it to pieces, it was a 9mm. The fist lithotripsy in Oct. did not work. The stone was impacted in the distal part of the ureter, so I had to have another lithotripsy in Dec. I see you mentioned that you are scheduled for surgery at 8:30 A.M. In Dec. that's the time I was scheduled, and I figured that was a good time because the doctor would just be starting a new day, and wouldn't have had any problems before he worked on me. And you also mentioned that it's scary thinking about taking medicine to calm you down. I was very concerned about that also, because I have "COPD" so they couldn't give me general anesthesia, because when they give you that, they automatically put you on a ventilator until surgery is over, and then take you off it before you wake up. But I was told, when you have "COPD" there isn't a problem getting you on a ventilator, but there could be - usually is, a BIG Problem trying to get you off the ventilator, because when you  are on a ventilator, your lungs don't have to work. The ventilator does the work for them, and they may not want to start working again when they want to take you off the ventilator. Not saying that always happens, but it happens enough that II didn't want to take a chance, so I decided I would have a Spinal, so that's what they gave me. And I had a choice of being awake or drugged, during surgery. I wouldn't feel anything either way, because I was numb from the waist down to my toes, but I was too anxious to go through a procedure without anything except the Spinal, so through IV, I had Versed, Propofol, and Fentanyl, and after they gave me those drugs, I didn't know anything. Sorry this is so long, but you mentioned that you have a problem with anesthesia afterwards. If you tell the doctor before surgery about that, they can give you something so that you won't have a problem afterwards. And someone mentioned that the nurse told them they would just have to be sick if they couldn't take that one medicine. If something like that were to happen, ask for the Charge Nurse, because I'm sure she could find the patient another drug to take. Good Luck with your surgery. Barb1705                    

• Posted

Thank you Barb for you info it is good to hear what other people go through so as to not worry too much . I will keep you updated after surgery. X
  • Posted

Just wondering how it went?

• Posted

Hi sorry only just seen this . My PCNL surgery went well . Went into surgery at 8.30 am was in recovery at 12. Had a drain in my back and catheter no stent 😀. Was being sick all afternoon anaesthetic always am . But after that was fine . That was Thurs on Friday they took my catheter out . No pain just dull Back ache and was taking paracetamol. Friday afternoon they took my drain out and 1 stitch replaced it with a bag that got drained about 3 times I was allowed to go home Sat afternoon. Had district nurses call three times the following week to change bag to dressing last time this Friday gone so wound healed up lovely . The surgeon got all my stone they showed me the stone broken up and sending it for testing .Should know in 8 weeks time what it is but to me it is uric acid stone as my uric acid levels are high . So it could be a low purine diet. But I feel very well . Did have a few days feeling brusied and sore but glad it's over. Thank you for asking .x Lesley x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.