PCNL surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am scheduled to have PCNL surgery mid December? Anyone had it and want to give me any advice? I had a parathyroid gland removed about 5 years ago and most likely that's the cause of my large staghorn shaped kidney stone and several others not so big. I recently lost 100 pounds by eating healthy and exercising so I'm hoping that works in my favor. HELP! I'm so scared!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a PCNL last April to remove a large stone the op was about 3 1/2hours long had no problem with it. Was in hospital for 48 hrs had a drain in my back which was taken out after so many days . Just took paracetamols for dull backache . The wound healed up well. Are you in UK?

• Posted

I had PCNL surgery for kidney stones last year.

Large calculi stone 27mm in my right kidney.

The other problem was I was born with horseshoe kidneys(joined together) which made access a lot more difficult.

I suffered all last year and finally at the beginning of December I had PCNL surgery at Southmead Hospital in Bristol. Consultaant Mr Frank Keeley.

He said the surgery was challenging and even after he had operated he was not sure he had got to all the stones. Fortunately he had.

I was in hospital for a week had a catheter in for 3 days and a stent of a week.

Had a couple of days of really bad stomach ache while in hospital.

They tried taking stent out after 3 days to see if I could manage without it but I could not manage so they put it back in again.

After all this I was so grateful that I had given the consultant the chance to see what he could do to help.

Make sure you drink plenty of water to prevent stone from coming back.

You will be fine I'm sure.

Praying for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I had A PCNL surgery performed on a 20mm and an 8mm stone in August, and i was terrified. But truthfully it was a very easy, i was in minimal pain and they give you pain meds so you don't really feel the pain. There was a drain in my back for 24hrs and i had a stent for 5 days. Once the stent was removed the pressure in my bladder was relieved and I had no pain. They gave me percocet to go hone with and I Only took them for 3 days. Best of luck, and you will see that it is a very simple procedure that is performed dozens of times a day. The day i went in for surgery my doctor was performing 5 of those surgeries. I Don't remember anything once i was down with the IT Radiologist and he was placing the guide wire. They gave me something to relax me and I fell asleep, anything after that was a blur until later in the day in recovery. They are very good about pain management in recovery and they will give you some good drugs.

• Posted

So here I go again i had a pcnl surgery on my right kidney last august and i just went for my recheck the other day and i have a 17mm stone in my left t kidney and 2 small stones already forming in my right kidney where i had the surgery almost a year ago. So i have to have yet another surgery to remove a stone we dont know what is causing them i did a 24hr urine test and that came back fine nothing in my diet and i had blood work done my calcium levels are fine and so is my thyroid the dr. put me on POTASSIUM CITRATE in hopes i wont make any more stones. Has anyone had any luck with this medication? Any words of advice would be appreciated. HOW DO I STOP GROWING THESE STONES!

• Posted

You have been very unlucky here and sorry to hear you are still having problems.

Hopefully you can still see my reply to shannamagee 6 months ago.

This makes me realize how lucky I have been.

Not sure if you live anywhere near Bristol if so Mr Keeley is worth a visit.

I live in Wales so had to get funding from my local health board to be treated in England.

These administrative things are a battle but they are do able if you do not give up and keep fighting.

Drink plenty of water.

Do you know when you are having surgery again?

Hope it works this time.

Praying for you.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.