PCNL surgery advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I'm scheduled for pcnl early October and very nervous! I have to get tube in place with radiology first then wait a hour or so.

I've read a lot of posts from a couple of years ago and all the information has helped me. I'm for sure going to ask for sedation to help me relax for this too.

I have a question about stairs right after surgery. Our bedrooms are all up 2 flights of stairs. Should I rent a bed for downstairs?

Any advice would be appreciated! I have a 1.88cm stone and a smaller one in left kidney. Also 5 cysts rating IIF on the bosniak scale. The urologists said ultasound in 6 months to check on the cysts.

Thank you,

Deborah

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Not sure if this has been made clear. Tube out the back is standard operating procedure for a pcnl. You wake up with it there draining. Will be removed after a day or two. No stitches, the wound heals by itself.

• Posted

That is what i thought and what the doctor said. Mine is to be done in radiology before surgery with a local to numb the area. I'm going to ask for sedation too this sounds scary to me. I would much rather have the tube out my back for a couple of days than a stent for a week or two. Did it hurt when the tube was removed?

• Posted

That's weird. that they are making a keyhole and placing a tube before surgery? When it comes out, well, as i recall, uncomfortable on the one hand, but a relief on the other. The wound will still be draining so they will jury-rig something in the back to catch the liquid, combo of blood and urine. You will be fine.

• Posted

Prior to the surgery, I was given a CT scan, to make sure where everything was. My PCNL surgery was performed under anaesthesia and I woke up with one tube out the back for drainage and another tube (not a stent) up the urethra, also for drainage. I think the operation may have taken 3 hours or so. Lots of pain initially; no fun with the tubes. Ask for morphine or Percocet. I was two days in hospital. My operation and hospital stay cost $3400,00. Luckily, picked up by my insurance. No fears, you'll make it through and the results will be fantastic.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reassurance. I wish my PCNL was set up like yours but it seems they do a 2 stage plan.

Radiology first to put in back tube takes about 2 hours then I have to wait 5 hours to have the PCNL.

This is just the way they do it and I hope it shortens the PCNL surgery since this is done before hand and the tube and guide wires are all in place. I'm dreading this for sure but don't want my stone to grow larger so need to get it done.

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

I realize that you posted this 3 weeks ago, but I'm responding just in case this is helpful to future readers.

I had PCNL done 9 days ago. I already had a kidney stent that was placed a month earlier when the 20 mm stone was placed.

I arrived at the hospital on Friday at 6 am. I went to

radiology at 8 am. I was awake during that procedure, but sedated and in no pain. I was sent to surgery at 11 am, and I was in my room by 3 pm. I had a foley catheter and a nephrostomy tube. The nephrostomy tube is really just a catheter. The foley was removed the following morning. I received pain meds on Friday evening, but I didn't need anything after that, not even Tylenol. The tube was uncomfortable, but not painful. It took me a while to find the most comfortable position. Because I was doing well, on Sunday the urologist decided to cap the nephrostomy tube and see if I could tolerate not having the bag. On Monday, he declded to bypass the final radiology test, removed the tube bedside, and sent me home.

When I got home, I had no issues with stairs. The one thing I didn't anticipate was how messy it was. There was so much drainage from the tube site that we were changing the dressing every 2 hours the first day. It stopped by the second day. I used puppy training pads to protect our furniture.

The only discomfort I have experienced is because of the stent, which will be removed next week

• Posted

Hi Barb,

Thank you for the update and I'm so happy to hear you had minimal pain! My pcnl is tomorrow and I'm really nervous!

I did get a really wonderful nurse that called for pre op info last Monday and she re arranged my time with radiology to be at 1230pm and my pcnl is 330pm. Before I was waiting from 8am until 330pm and that part was really scaring me.

I'm so hoping no stent which is what they initially said but I know that is up to my urologist. My big stone is 1.88cm which is 18.8mm I think. Also there is a smaller stone down below they are pretty sure they can get.

I will give a update when it's over and I so want a minimal pain experience too. They were saying 1-2 nights so hoping that is true but it seems you were there 4 nights. I've packed a small bag and a phone and tablet charger to try and distract myself. Keep getting better and good idea on the puppy pads I actually have some!

• Posted

I was there 3 nights. But that's only because at our hospital, interventional radiology isn't open on weekends. Since the urologist ended up skipping that step, I easily could have come home after the 2nd night.

A few other things... There was a lot of leakage from around the nephrology tube-- the bed was soaked and the nurse did a 3 am sheet change. This is normal and is mostly the result of gravity. Once I sat upright, it got better, One of the standard meds that they give turns your urine a reddish-yellow color, It will stain clothing. I discovered that pet stain spray will get the stain out. (pet pads, pet spray, see a pattern?)

It took me over a day to figure out how to lay comfortably with tube. If you place a small pillow or folded towel on the opposite side of your back, it takes the pressure off the tube.

Good luck tomorrow!

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I'm back home and resting after PCNL. It went well I spent 1 night in the hospital. taking it easy at home now.

It was not as bad as I had made it in my head but not fun either. Took dressing off today and i'm not leaking i'm happy to say there are dissolve stitches and no stent so yay for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.