PCNL Surgery...Any advice greatly recieved.

Posted , 32 users are following.

I am due to go in for this op shortly for 19mm(prob bigger now)stone.

I have had other surgery for stones but never this.

Obviously i know what they are going to do and that its far more invasive than other methods.

Have read so much conflicting advise about how long in hospital/recovery time/pain management.

Again im not daft and no if im in pain ill take meds..!!

Was just wondering if theres anyone out there thats had this done in the last year or so and how you got on.

Im self employed so not easy to take much time of work.

Ive always tended to plod on through the pain and hoping i can get back to work asap.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks..

2 likes, 173 replies

173 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Never in my life I have been so grateful to hear of other people's suffering lol I honestly thought I was alone with cronic kidney stones, countless procedures and my hate for stents.. I'm 38 yrs old and after, what feels like, millions of operations to clear both kidneys, I still have 16 stones. Sigh* I'm in to get one lasered on the 29th and I'm dreading having a stent put back in, but like you guys, I'm resilient and life goes on.

Thanks for giving me something to relate to. X

• Posted

Goodness me 16 stones...arghhhh,i really feel for you.

Hope the lasering goes well for you on the 29th.I can fully understand you dreading having a stent put in,fingers crossed this one will be ok.

As i said ive had a fair few in over the years but it was just this last one that was truly horrible and painful.

Good luck with it all and i hope that one day youll be stone free.

• Posted

Thanks hun. I've had lots of stents, some good, but some bloody awful lol. Here's hoping for a good one smile

Thanks again for starting this thread. Us stonies should stick together lol

Hope you stay well x

• Posted

I just want to say thank you to all of you for your candor and willingness to discuss your experiences. I found out in January that I have 4 large stones in my right kidney (16 mm, 15mm, 13mm, and 9mm) as well as a couple smaller ones in the left (which I'm not focused on right now). PCNL on the right is scheduled for April 11. I spent weeks researching and reading articles and websites, but it was this thread that finally put me at ease. After I've been through it, I will share here as well. smile

Melanie

• Posted

Hi Melania,

Good luck for the 11th. My own experience of PNCL was that it was a lot better than I ever imagined it was going to be. I woke up relatively pain free and although the tubes (the catheter and back tube) make it a bit tricky to get around, it's only for a few days. I am left with a little scar, but it isn't something that bothers me personally. Wishing you all the best xx

• Posted

Best of luck to you for your surgery in April...Im sure all will go smoothly..
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement.  I'm hoping my experience matches those of the folks on this discussion thread.  I'll update everyone afterwards.  smile

• Posted

Thank you!  Glad your experience was better than expected.  I'm hoping for the same smile

• Posted

My surgery is in 2 weeks. Just how bad is the pain the first couple of days?

• Posted

Hi Kris,

For me, I was in very little pain.. the hospital will keep you topped with morphine if you start to feel uncomfortable and it's more of an ache than a pain, which codine usually takes care of. You will be pretty much bed ridden for 3 days which makes you a bit stiff and sore, but when they remove the tubes and you get moving again, you should be ok. Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Carla

• Posted

Has anyone had a breathing tube with PCNL? Thanks.
  • Posted

hi im new on here ,im due to have pcnl early june,i have 12 mm left lower pole kidney stone,im terrified of having key hole surgery but this is my best option.been told no stent ,which im pleased about not sure how long im staying in for having it done ,darent valley hospital uk.any information gratefully appreciated,thanks
    • Posted

Hi there, and welcome to the boards. I had my pcnl a little over a week ago. I think if you read thru the replies here you will find the stories vary according to personal differences. Overall, it's considered a minimally invasive surgery, and has the highest success rate of the 3 different types of kidney stone removal procedures/surgeries. Your stone sounds relatively small. My stone was huge and sat right in the center of my kidney.

I'm In the states so can't help you as far as the hospital info, but I think there are a few on this board from the U.K.

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Dina

• Posted

Hello, june84091, and welcome.

I agree with Dina, as experiences seem to vary widely based upon stone size and location, drainage methods, number of stones, and surgeon preferences.  I had my pcnl in April and posted on here shortly thereafter.  I ended up with a lung/pleural complication that is uncommon (about 1%) that slowed my recovery considerably.  Even with that, now a month out, I am back to pretty much all my normal activities, including exercise.  

The process seems daunting when you first find out that you need it, but the more you learn (including reading through the posts on here), the more comforted you will (hopefully!) be.  

Please let us know if you need any specific info.

Best of luck to you!

Melanie

• Posted

I had PCNL on my left side at the end of April. I lost a bit more blood than they wanted so I couldn't get the right side done 2 days later as planned. I had surgery Wednesday and went home Friday. I only took Tylenol and honestly didn't need anything more. The Foley catheter was the most painful part in the hospital for me.

I have a stent. It's annoying at times.

I was back working in less than 2 weeks.

I have the right side scheduled for July. I'm hoping it goes just as smooth.

Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You are the first person aside from myself who I've "met" that is needing a PCNL on both kidneys. I'm sorry you have to go back and they couldn't do it all as planned, but am so glad to hear that your recovery went so well. 

I'm scheduled for the same as you in a few weeks. Two procedures two days apart. Of course I have the option to opt out of the second round and reschedule for later if need be, so it's reassuring to know that it will all be playing it by ear. 

Wishing you all the best for your procedure in July! Karen 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

How did your procedure (s) go? Hope all is well.

My PCNL is two weeks from today. It's so far away and coming up too quick at the same time. Lol

Kirs

• Posted

Hi Kirs, I'm so sorry for not replying sooner!! I must have missed seeing your post in my email, I was kind of overloaded with emails for a while. I imagine by now your procedure is long over and you've recovered. I hope all went well. I'm glad to report that everything went really smooth with my procedures and I bounced back quicker than I ever imagined. Very grateful! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.