PCNL Surgery...Any advice greatly recieved.

Posted , 32 users are following.

I am due to go in for this op shortly for 19mm(prob bigger now)stone.

I have had other surgery for stones but never this.

Obviously i know what they are going to do and that its far more invasive than other methods.

Have read so much conflicting advise about how long in hospital/recovery time/pain management.

Again im not daft and no if im in pain ill take meds..!!

Was just wondering if theres anyone out there thats had this done in the last year or so and how you got on.

Im self employed so not easy to take much time of work.

Ive always tended to plod on through the pain and hoping i can get back to work asap.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks..

2 likes, 173 replies

173 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had the surgery last year after so much pain etc. I was in hospital for the day and went home in the evening. However you can only do this if you have people to look after you as you cannot do normal things for a week or so and you cannot lift heavy stuff like shopping for 3months. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your info.

Doesnt sound to bad then,ill just be glad to get it done now.

Booked in for 26/10........Bring in on...!!!

• Posted

I had the surgery in this August. I was in hospital 9 days, because of my IBS. So yours will be much sorter then mine, don't worry. My surgery was almost 3 hours, everything went well. They took out every stone pieces from my kidney. I had the drainage tube coming out of  my kidney, but a week after they put in a stent, because of the swollen bit betwen my kidney and bladder. I was very happy with the stent, no pain, just bit of discomfort. 3 weeks later they removed the stent without any pain. I'll se my surgeon next week, this will be the first controll since I left the hospital. Good luck with your surgery! Get well soon! Let me know, how is it going smile

• Posted

That's not good news..... So sorry about that!!! Hope tomorrow will be ok. Good Luck, and let us know! smile

• Posted

Hi

I was very fortunate that when i was put under they found that the stone had moved just enough for them to break and remove through the bladder.Had a stent in for a month (which ive had many times)this time it was very bad and when i saw my urologist last week i told him im never having another one again...!!!

Glad all stones have gone for time being....Long may it last...

Are you well and stone free?...

• Posted

Hi

Pleased it went well for you.Them stents are nasty thingssmile

• Posted

They certainly are,had many before but this one was something else....!!!

Hope all is well with you...

• Posted

Hi, I'm glad to hear that, does the procedure painful? I had one PCNL last august, so I don't know about other procedures. Hope you won't need another stent. smile I 've got one very small stone in my right kidney, but last time when I saw the doctor, it was very hard to see my stone. We will see on the summer, when I need to go to the controll. All the best for you, and I hope, you never have another stone again!!! smile

• Posted

Im not too bad at the minute had my 6 monthly check up last week. It seems i have about 6 or 7 small stones starting to develop. Fortunately there to small to cause me any problems and may just pass.

• Posted

Hello,

I am so relieved to have found this post and to hear others experiences with this procedure. I am 34 years old and just recently found out by CT scan that I have a rare kidney case with many large stones. My options are either to completely remove my kidney or try PCNL which will have to be done at least 3-5 times. I'm scared out of my mind! But I am somewhat relieved to know that others have had this done more than once and the procedure is not too painful. Thank you for sharing your stories.

• Posted

Hello.....

In the end i didnt have the pcnl done which i was grateful for.Having spoken to many others about it i have found out that its quite straight forward,obviously as with any invasive surgery you need to heal and take a little time off but im sure youll be fine and wish you lots of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.