PCO prevention

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had Symfony lenses implanted July and August this year.  I was told by my opthamologist that many patients experience this in one to five years with younger patients experiencing this sooner.  Aside from IOL selection are there any supplements etc that would slow this process or prevent it?  Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Does IOL selection prevents PCO?  Which IOLs prevent PCO?
    • Posted

Yes I have ready square edge IOLs are better than round edge IOLs for PCO
  • Posted

AS far as I know the answer to both your questions is no. But PCO is no big deal, it can easily be corrected with the YAG laser treatment.
  • Posted

As far as I know, there are no supplements which, I am aware of, will affect the development of PCO. It is possible that someone can come up with some eye drops which may affect this development, but again I have not heard of any.

As others have pointed out, square edge IOLs are better in reducing the number of PCO cases, but unfortunately they also tend to create more edge reflections from lights at night.

A PCO can be easily corrected with a YAG laser treatment, but getting that done is not risk-free (although the risk is very small) and there are other disadvantages associated with removing the posterior capsule in the eye. I have had a mild case of PCO in my left eye for years, but I (or my opthamologist) have not been able to justify removing the PCO with the YAK laser for  the slight potential improvement in the vision in that eye by doing so.

• Posted

Thanks.  My surgeon said the younger you are the likelihood of PCO increases.   So have been looking into something I could to prevent it.  Thankfully I don’t  see or notice any edge glare but yes read there is minimal risk to YAG and if for some reason down the road one needs a lens exchange a YAG procedure makes it that much more difficult.
    • Posted

How about cineraria maritima?  Will that help with preventing PCO?
    • Posted

I will look into that.  Only other thing I have come across is taking saffron extract.  Thanks for your input.
    • Posted

I don't think saffron has prevented my cataracts.  I eat a lot of saffron that too the purest imported from Iran. 

Someone asked the question to cineraria maritima medicine creators and they have not understood that the question is for PCO. 

• Posted

Thanks.  Google Saffron 2020 eye supplement.  Maybe it’s all false  advertising.  Can’t seem to buy it in Canada.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.