PCOS and just started Metformin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone

I was informed I have PCOS last year and it is only now I am doing something about it. Hubby and I are now trying for a baby. When I say trying, we have not used protection for a couple of years and I never gotten pregnant but now we are doing what we can.

Anyway, I have always had irregular periods. More absent than irregular. The last period I had was one year and six months ago.

I went to the doctor and asked them to give me metformin because I had read so many success stories - regulates period, helps with insulin and can bring on ovulation.

I was given a months supply one 500mg tablet each morning with food then to increase them each week.

So after day two of taking them, I came on my period!!! After over a year of not having one.

My questions are:

Is this normal?

Is this a real period?

Do you think I will ovulate? When would be the right time to start tracking to see if I have?

Does anyone have similar/success stories?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for the PCOS. I wish to know if you have been succesful as your post is 8 months old. I was found with PCOS in October 2016, was put on Metformin right away, it was 850mg once a day for a week then to increase to 850 2 times a day. On the day I increase, I had a very strange weakness, when I went to a GP he tested my sugar level which was so low, I asked the Gynae if I could stop but she told me to continue 850 once a day. I took for 4 months and rescan shown that Metformin treated one side of my ovaries and made the cysts on the other side to increase. I am also trying to conceive from December 2016. My periods have been 35days but with Metformin they were regular but less than 35 days.  The period could have been normal as Metformin mostly also allows period to be coming.  I am scheduled for another scan on 3rd April where upon results doctor will decide to remove them through surgery or not. I have had a similar surgery ten years ago and managed to conceive a month later, carried the pregnancy to term. Wishing you all the best so you are healed and managed to have a baby.
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I hope this could help you. I've had irregular period ever since high school and I've been told that contraceptive pills would make it regular. I took pills on and off since I was single I didn't really mind if I'd take it or not. But when I met my now husband, I searched for ways to ovulate, 2 years ago I gave birth smile I had pcos for years and decided to live with it, haha, when I was trying to get pregnant, one of my friend recommended metformin to ovulate. which happened! Here's what I did: I stopped taking metformin for 2 weeks, on the third week, I started taking a new set contraceptive pills, stop taking the contraceptive pills as soon as you have your period, (most probably on your 21st pill), then start on you metformin again. buy exactly 10 tablets just to make sure you'll only drink 10, I took a generic metformin with the lowest dosage, take metformin once a day for 10 days, then wait for a month, no pills, no metfomin, as for me, on the second month, I conceived. I thought it was just a coincidence but I shared it with my sister-in-law and my cousin, it also worked for both of them, God Bless to you all, I hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.