PCOS and Metformin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm 27 and have been diagnosed with PCOS for a few years now but have been putting off taking metformin for about two years, cause it made me feel really nauseous, dizzy and fatigued. However, I recently seen my gynaecologist and he advised me to take the medication 500mg twice a day and said I really need to lose the weight and to regulate my periods again.

I would like to know what helped other people lose weight while taking metformin e.g healthy eating/diet and exercise, or if there's anything else I can try please share.. And has metformin actually helped lose the weight? And when did people start seeing changes or progress while taking the medication. Would love to hear your stories or suggestions. Thanks in advance smile 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear lin,

Yes losing weight really really helps. I can't stress enough how much important it is to lose weight in pcos. It helped me tremendously.

• Posted

It is equally important to lose weight in a healthy way and not going on a diet. Lose weight through exercise. Because if you diet then it will cause insulin spikes which will in turn fluctuate your hormones
  • Posted

Hi ther. I'm 29 and I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 20. I suffered really bad with the side effects and didn't take the medication properly for years because I was dreading the effects. I went back to my GP and she changed my dose to 1kg slow release once a day. And it's perfect for me. I struggle with my weight also and constantly joining slimming world etc. I went to see my nurse practitioner to see if they could give me anything to help boost my weight loss as I need to loose around 3-4 stone to be eligible for IVF. So she started me on orlistat. I am now doing a low fat diet while taking this medication. Iv heard the side effect are horrendous but so far iv been fine. I find myself constantly checking the grams of fat as I'm paranoid incase I get the side effects!! I feel more determined now than ever as I feel I have wasted my 20's in trying to shift this weight!! Hope this helps. Worth a shot xx

• Posted

Stop stressing about side effects. God forbid if they do occur then tackle them when they do till then sit back and relax. Stress increases cortisol levels which in itself causes more harm to the body than many medicines do. Think about it!
    • Posted

Hi Faye, thank you for sharing! I too hope to get back on track and to live a healthy lifestyle, and the side effects are always a pain but determination is key. Good luck with it all smile xx

• Posted

Hey, I don't know if this is going to be any help but maybe someone can take something away from this! Also, its a bit of a long one! Sorry in advance...

I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17, but I knew I had it when I was 15 but my doctor didn't think I had anything to worry about so didn't do anything. My PCOS is more on the insulin resistant side so I have suffered majorly (5 stone put on in 2 years!!!) I have a good diet but if I want to treat myself I will. I also suffer with extra body hair (face, arms, tummy). Suffer with depression and anxiety which can limit my motivation sometimes. I haven't had a period since June/July and its the end of November. I've been with my fiancè since I was 14, we're looking to get a place together in 2017 and we're both wanting to start a family.

At the start of November I went to my doctor and basically demanded that they gave me medication. I've now been taking 500mg Metformin for 3 weeks (1 tablet a day for 2 weeks then 2 tablets a day). Haven't really had any side effects apart from I had to rush to the loo the next morning for the first week.

Me and my fiancè decided on the 19th November that we would stIrt 'unofficially trying' for a baby and the whole week I've felt nauseous, had heartburn, cramps, headaches, and sore breasts. Certain smells that didn't bother me before now make me feel sick and the thought of cetrain foods I love make me feel sick. I've been telling myself its all in my head but then I noticed some bleeding which isn't exactly fresh blood (there is some). Its not quite light spotting but its not heavy enough to be a period. I would describe it as the end of a period. Not sure what to think of all this, in my head or a possibility? (Not getting my hopes up, could just be the Metformin)

I've been eating healthy all week and having my 'treat day' on Saturdays, low carbs (which I found is helpful for my weight loss). Moderate exercise (walking to and from work, walking my dogs, so not too much but not too little). I drink plenty of water, very rare that I drink fizzy drinks or tea, i drink decaf due to heart burn.

Again, sorry this is kind of a drag, I wanted to share my full story just in case anyone can find this helpful or if anyone has any advice I will be more than greatful!

Thank you,

Chlo x

• Posted

Hi Chlo, thank you for sharing your story. I know how it feels and can be the biggest burden and some days you just feel burnt out! I think staying positive and thinking about your future with your fiance will always keep you going! Good luck with it all and all the best xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.