PCOS and no help...really?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

After irregular periods and bleeding between periods 2 years ago I was sent for an ultrasound and they found a 10cm Dermoid cyst and a polyp, I was also told I had polycystic ovaries, I was asked if I had any excess hair which I said yes to.  Dermoid and polyps were removed and nothing more mentioned at my last consultant appointment.

I lost weight, two stone, and my periods regulated but I've had problems with excess hair on top lip, chin, neck and around nipples, acne outbreaks, unable to maintain weight loss, painful and heavy periods. Today I went back to the doctors as it's all been getting me down, I explained all this and was told there is no treatment and pcos doesn't cause problems unless trying to get pregnant, which I'm not, she said excess hair is cosmetic but I could go on the pill to regulate periods but  it will cause weight gain so if I'm struggling with my weight it's probably not a good idea and she only really try to help with the biggest issue. Given mine are weight gain and excess hair she couldn't really help, The doctor prescribed me pain killers for help with painful periods. That's it, appointment over, do I really just have to get on with it..........??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry yo gear youre feeling like that, but many PCOS sufferers have insulin resistance which could be causing most of the symptoms such as night sweat, weight gain etc. I have PCOS and I'm trying to fight for metformin which helped my sister (who also has PCOS ) to lose weight and she felt alot better. So it's worth looking into and possibly discussing with your doctor if you have the symptoms. Hope this helps and I hope you manage to find a treatment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.