PCOS AND OLISTAT

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI THERE,

AFTER YEARS OF STRUGGLING WITH MY WEIGHT I WAS FINALLY DIAGNOSED WITH POLY CYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME (AND BOY DO I KNOW IT). MY PROBLEMS STARTED 8 YEARS AGO (2006) WHEN I MISCARRIED MY BABY AT 11 WEEKS. I BLED FOR 8 WEEKS, THEN MY PERIODS STOPPED FOR TWO YEARS.

DURING THOSE TWO YEARS EVERY 28 DAYS I WOULD GET ALL THE TYPICAL SIGNS OF A DUE PERIOD BUT NOTHING EVER HAPPENED. I CONSTANTLY ATE, NOTHING EVER FILLED ME, AND DUE TO THIS MY WEIGHT ESCALATED TO 19 STONE! AFTER A CONSTANT BATTLE WITH NOT ONLY MY WEIGHT BUT ALSO WITH MY G.P HE WAS ADAMANT MY PERIODS STOPPED BECAUSE OF MY WEIGHT AND WAS NOT WILLING TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THAT MY WEIGHT ONLY ESCALATED WHEN I DIDN'T HAVE A PERIOD. I WAS BASICALLY SHOWN THE DOOR AND FELT GUILTY FOR "WASTING A DOCTORS TIME".

FINALLY IN AUGUST 2008 I GOT A PERIOD AND SO ON, UNTIL FEB 2009 WHEN I FELL PREGNANT.... I GAINED ANOTHER STONE IN PREGNANCY WHICH THEN TOOK ME TO A DANGEROUS 20 STONE, I HAD THE USUAL TEST FOR GESTATIONAL DIABETES AND WAS COMPLETELY FINE, I ALSO HAD BLOOD TESTS FOR CHOLESTEROL - AGAIN I WAS COMPLETELY FINE!! NOVEMBER ARRIVED AND I GAVE BIRTH TO MY DAUGHTER WEIGHING 8LB 8OZ.

MAY 2010 I HAD LOST 5 STONE AND WAS COMPLETELY MADE UP WHATEVER HORMONE WAS RAGING IN MY BODY FROM HAVING MY DAUGHTER WAS CLEARLY DOING ME SOME GOOD, I WAS LOSING WEIGHT AND HAD A PERIOD EVERY 28 DAYS (HOORAY NO MORE BINGING!!)

SEPTEMBER 2010, MY WEIGHT STARTED TO CREEP BACK ON, I'D HAD A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN AND STARTED TO COMFORT EAT. MY PERIODS HAD BECOME PAINFUL, VERY HEAVY, AND ERRATIC. I DIDN'T BOTHER WITH THE DOCTORS DUE TO THE GUILT I'D FELT PREVIOUSLY. I HAD REACHED 17 STONE, I IGNORED IT, I IGNORED THE PAIN AND THE BLEEDING AND JUST GOT ON WITH IT!

OCTOBER 2013 I CHANGED DOCTORS, ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH. I COULD NOT LONGER COPE WITH LOOKING IN THE MIRROR AND EXCEPT WHAT I SAW LOOKING BACK AT ME! MY CONFIDENCE IS AT AN ALL TIME LOW, MY MOODS WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE, I WAS GROWING HAIR (AND LOTS OF IT), MY STOMACH WAS HANGING, MY EATING HABITS WAS DISCUSTING, I WAS TOTALLY ASHAMED OF MYSELF. THE DOCTOR WAS LOVELY, WENT THROUGH EVERYTHING FROM MY PREVIOUS MEDICAL HISTORY AND DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY I'D NOT HAD TEST'S. I THEN WAS REFERRED FOR A SCAN ALONG WITH BLOOD TEST'S, ONE WEEK LATER I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH PCOS! I WAS DEVASTATED!! EVEN THOUGH I'D FINALLY GOT AN EXPLANATION I KNEW I'D HAVE A BATTLE ON MY HANDS......

8 WEEKS AGO I WEIGHED MYSELF AND WAS MORTIFIED AT WHAT I SAW - 20 STONE!! I DECIDED TO JOIN SLIMMING WORLD I HAVE TOTALLY CHANGED EVERYTHING I EAT, NO MORE TAKEAWAYS, NO MORE CRISPS, CHOCOLATE - NOTHING!! AFTER TOTALLY WIPING EVERYTHING BAD, I WAS DEVASTATED TO LEARN OVER THOSE 8 WEEKS I'D ONLY LOST 9LB.

LAST WEEK I WENT BACK TO MY G.P, I TOTALLY BROKE DOWN. SHE PRESCRIBED ME ORLISTAT AND TOLD ME EVERYTHING FROM SIDE EFFECTS TO THE DOSAGE. IAM HOPING AND PRAYING THAT THESE WORK.

SORRY IF I'VE BORED ANYONE WITH (PART) OF MY BATTLE, BUT IF THERE IS ANYONE HERE WHO HAS PCOS AND/OR IS ALSO TAKING ORLISTAT I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL FOR HELP, TIPS.

THANK YOU X

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Good Luck with your journey i have posted lots of helpful posts on these tablets if you search around i was the same weight as you just over a year ago and wore a size 24 now i'm a 12-14 and i'm so glad i stuck to it from the start. They do work if you stick to it if you need any other help just post back x
    • Posted

HI, THANKS FOR RESPONSE. I HAVE ONLY BEEN TAKING THE TABLETS SINCE WEDNESDAY, IAM FOLLOWING SLIMMING WORLD (DOING MY 15 SYNS A DAY) BUT IAM ALSO COMPLETELY AWARE OF THE 15G OF FAT RULE! ARE THE TABLETS STILL SUCCESSFUL FOLLOWING THE SLIMMING WORLD DIET?? I MUST ADMIT I'M NOT ONE FOR LOADS OF VEG EVERYDAY AND I HATE SALAD, BUT I LOVE FISH, SOME SEAFOOD, FRUIT ETC.

WELL DONE ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS, IT'S A FANTASTIC ACHEIVEMENT!! X

• Posted

Hi Rachel. Your welcome. I don't follow slimming world i know some people do i eat a healthly diet and count the fat mainly not the calories. Obviously as you would know on SW you can only use frylight with these tablets. Don't worry too much about the veg i love it personally and fruit but as long as your food is healthy and within the fat range then you will be fine. How are you finding it so far? make sure to drink plenty of water as these tablets have a tendency to bloat you in the first couple of weeks and when i say water i mean 2L + a day i drink between 4-6L a day. Fish is good make sure it fits wihin the 5g rule and make sure all your meat is lean i'm pretty sure SW tell you that anyway! Thankyou i am nearly at the end of my weight loss journey time has flown by and it will do for you too good luck and if you have any other questions please just post back x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for advising me. At the moment I'm finding it ok, I guess that's due to taking the tablets along side Slimming World. I eat lean meats and only add "free or super free" foods ie Chilli Con Carne lean mince, chopped tomatoes, onions, chilli etc. For snacks I have fat free Muller Yogurt, fruit, etc.

I have Nimble bread with poached egg or Weetabix for breakfast, sometimes lean grilled bacon (depending on my mood) biggrin. How soon did you start noticing a difference?? I'm worried about excess skin (my weight is all round my belly) imagine a penguin and that's me - big belly, skinny legs lol. Wow you've done great, it's great to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel! You must feel brilliant!! x

• Posted

Hi Rachel that's no problem your food looks good i find sainsburys be good to yourself range really good and i cook everything from scratch. I started to notice a LOT of bloat was going in the first week to two weeks then i sort of knew i started to look different i know it's a mental thing but sometimes i still think i'm a size 24 i know sounds mad but it's true i think once you have been big you never get it out of your head well that's what i think. My friends and family say they don't recognise me i seen some old photos of myself a couple of weeks ago and i knew i was big but not that big! i have lost the weight quite quickly i have great willpower and if i say im going to do something i have to give it my all or nothing. You won't have major loose skin that's when people are like 25stone plus so don't worry. my weight was everywhere it's weird to now feel bones lol i do wish i had taken my measurements at the start though that means more than what's on the scales. the weight came off so quickly i constantly had to buy new clothes all the time i just wish i had done it sooner better late than never though x
    • Posted

I will be buying some bottled water tomorrow - drink myself in ablivion!

I know what you mean by always thinking big. When I lossed weight after having my daughter I knew I looked different but I was still very consious, I would still hole my handbag in front of my belly, or buy loose fitting clothes and I never show the top of my arms. Old habits die hard!

Will power! I didn't think I had any but I packed in the smoking 10 months ago if I can do that, surely I can do thiswink. It's a lonely place sometimes, you tend to think you're the only size 24 in the country and become a bit of a hermit. Going to my Childrens parents evening fills me with dread I feel an embarrassment! I used to be very sociable, confidant and out-going. Your help/advise is greatly appreciated, Thank You x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.