PCOS blood test positive, doctor refusing to diagnose?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm posting on behalf of my little sister because as a family we are all so distressed and frustrated, we don't know who to turn to.

Background:

My little sister is 18 years old, she suffers from irregular periods, excessive hair growth especially on the chin/face, bad acne/oily skin. For a while now she has been going back and forth to the doctors for help, she has been fobbed off & told it's all weight related because she was overweight.

She has now lost 5 stone in the space of 2 years and still getting these problems. Last week she finally had some blood tests done to see if she has levels that relate to PCOS, which came back as positive. Amazing, finally getting somewhere..Then in the same appointment, the doctor said they still wont diagnose her with PCOS because she has only had periods for 7 years (apparently they only diagnose after 8 years)?!

We are all so frustrated and don't know what to do, my sister is extremely depressed (worryingly), constantly having melt downs at college because of it all. Please any advice or what to do is extremely appreciated, we are so stuck

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.