PCOS - Change in discharge, cramping. Should I be concerned??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm 18 and I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 months ago and for the past month and a half I have been on Levlen (contraception pill) to help with the hormonal imbalance.

Around 10 days ago I noticed a light brown discharge only visible on toilet paper, but since then I have had to wear liners and change them frequently and it's changed to a thick, stringy, brown discharge.

This discharge has been accompanied with bad cramps in my lower back and just an overall 'off' feeling.

Should I be worried at all??

Should I make an appointment with my GP??

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is also worth noting that the discharge has quite a strong smell and I also seem to have a more frequent urge to pee.
  • Posted

I've literally been having the same problem recently myself. I'm 27 and was diagnosed with PCOS last year.

Recently I had a pelvic injury and was put on a string of medications. About a week or so after I'd stopped taking those meds I noticed the same discharge you spoke of, but because of my prior injury I wasn't sure if it was due to the injury, or early spotting or some other PCOS issue. My period came within 3-5 days of this discharge and it was the usual pink-red colour - but it was the most painful period I've ever experienced EVER, uncommonly painful.

My period is gone but the discharge is still there and it smells weird. Like you, I feel 'off' because I've never had an issue with smell down there. I even thought it might be a vaginal infection, but I took prescribed meds for that, and the discharge still persists. 

In researching on Google I saw some articles that suggested that pre-menstrual dark-brown discharge can be due to something called 'delayed / partial period' or due to other PCOS related issues.

I've decided to see a gynaecologist about the issue. I'll update if there's any progress. I'd love it if you share any changes in your condition as well. Best of luck. 

• Posted

Hey thanks a heap for your reply!

So what ended up happening before I went to the doctors is that I bled heavily (like a normal period) for about 3-4 weeks straight.

So I had read online about other girls with PCOS and constant bleeding stopping their birth control pills.

My GP said its called 'breakthrough bleeding' and it's completely normal with PCOS. So I have stopped taking the pills and it stopped witching a couple days.

• Posted

Hey again. 

Glad to hear yours stopped, but I wasn't on birth control pills. So I'm still gonna see a gynaecologist and be sure to update you with the results of that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.