PCOS - Dark skin

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago and have dark skin in my armpits, on my elbows and both of my palmar creases.  Does anyone have dark skin because of this condition?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

Yes this a very common symptom and can be very upsetting. I have it and many many women suffer free m this.

Its name is Hairisum where the testosterone levels are a little higher in somome with PCOS.

All I can advise is not to shave wax if you can or if it is that bad maybe your decant help you get electrolysis. There are other treatments too.

.I know it's not nice but over the years I've noticed i see it more than others see it on me. Two partners and they said they didn't notice till i said about it. Mines always on my top lip, under arms and on my chin.

Have you had a hormone test recently as they can tell so much..

YOU AR NOT ON YOUR OWN,

Also other women get hair growth without having PCOS.

take care 

Vicky x🙂 

• Posted

Sorry you said dark skin not hair... I'm sorry I do have patches they are in weird places. 

Go to your dr rhey may have a cream you can use to lighten it.

Once again sorry for the misunderstanding 

vicky🙂

• Posted

Hey, the same issues. My Endocrinologist called mine Acanthosis. I have skin on my armpits, my neck, a little under my lip, and in between my breasts. I try to exfoliate it at least once  week, it helps the appearance of it by not allowing dead skin to pile up and make it look darker.
    • Posted

I Wanted to say thank you as I didn't know you t he name of your the dark skin.

also the exfoliating is a great one. With the hairs I've found only waxing and plucking works.

as I've gotten older I still have to maintain all the areas bit I'm used to it and it can be controlled.

don get me wrong for many years I worried was self conscious everything but it's not the end of the world but it used to make me cry sometimes.

Vicky

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply but I have not got any rough skin on my body at all.  The areas which are dark on my body are actually brown in colour, including the creases on the palm of my hands.

Do you think PCOS would cause that?

• Posted

Hiya Philipa 

im sorry that I got it wrong.

The paches I don't really know as I've patches  inbeteen my thighs. Very dark patches darker than my " normal skin "

i really never heard of it with pcos and would not be fair to say yes or no.

It has me thinking about it now. I have just passed it off  as had a lot in my life it was not a priority but it was and is there now! 

I remember going for a scan and saying something a few  years back and the lady the radiograph asked the nurse to give me aqueous cram but I did on it as I've had to steady  partners and is not really bothered them so it's not with me so to speak. 

The hairs been the problem for me

I think it's always best to go to your doctor and get the answers you need it gives peace of mialso maybe some creams can help you with this.

I hope you can find out more about this.Sorry I got it wrong my photo LOLTake care Vicky 🙂

• Posted

Thanks Vicky

But my dark skin isn't causing me a problem with my appearance, so I don't need to see a doctor.

My mom was dark and so was my Nan, perhaps if I took a DNA test, it may show something in my history. 

I will make some enquiries

• Posted

Hey! I am 21 and I have had all of the PCOS symptoms since I was young!! I actually work for a company and sell a product that helps women with PCOS and balancing their hormones and regulating their blood sugar! I love it and it all natural made from natural plants and does not contain any chemicals and does not interfere with any medications!! You can go to this link and check it out!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

definitely dark armpits and neck. I also read somewhere that skin tags in the breast, armpit, neck and groin are a sign of PCOS and I have all of the above, several in fact. Is that weird?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.