PCOS stories for a documentary idea

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, my name is Toni and I'm a student at the northern film school. As part of my degree one of my tasks is to write a pitch for a documentary. I've chosen to focus my topic on PCOS as it's an issue very close to my heart after being diagnosed with it 4 years ago. 

I would love to hear your stories about your experience with it. How has if affected you?

All names will remain anonymous as this is purely for research purposes.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Many thanks, Toni

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed in 2006 with PCOS. I don’t get period. I take a pill. 
  • Posted

I was diagnosed four years ago at the age of 16, however was fairly confident that was what my problem was from the age of 14 but took along time to get diagnosed. It was a big factor to my weight gain which lead to bullying. I have struggled for a really long time to lose weight and with doctors telling me “for every normally person to lose 4 pounds it will take your body the same amount of effort to lose 1” I felt set for failure. I started slimming world in Feb 17 and by Sept 17 I had lost 3 stone. I still struggle with some of the symptoms the main one bothering me at the moment is hair growth, I shave and one minute later it’s growing through again and I am starting to get thicker hairs growing through on my face. I was also prescribed metaformin to help with my weight loss however I have never managed to get settled with changes in my employment/education I have felt uncomfortable taking when I end up needing to go to the toilet suddenly. I am thinking about trying again as my weight has maintained since sept and even with excersize I can’t seem to shift it any more but still a lot to shift 
  • Posted

Hi 

I was diagnosed when I was having treatment for a different gyn issue. I had an ultrasound after I was still having bleeding after treatment and the sonographer started asking me do I have regular periods etc which i did, I asked her why she was asking and she told me and showed me i had lots of cysts on my ovaries. She explained she thought it might be PCOS - but it couldnt be confirmed without a blood test showing elevated levels of testosterone. I went to my doctors and asked for the test and it came back that yes i did have slightly higher than normal testosterone levels so I was officially diagnosed.

When the doctor told me I burst into tears imagining a life without children but he explained that PCOS is so common many women have it without realizing and that I would have been one of those women because the finding was completely coincidental.

I get spots but no more than other women and i sometimes get unwanted hair (odd one on my face)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.