PE and Rivaroxaban

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 59 y/o male who was diagnosed with PE in left lung on 17Jan confirmed via a d-dimer and chest CT scan - I mistook my symptoms for muscle pull over night and I left it for 24 hours before going into ER to get it checked out at my wife's insistence - symptoms had almost dissappeared within 48 hours and had i not gone to ER when I did then i wouldn't have bothered and I'd have been undiagnosed( undiagnosed PE's are quite comon according to my Doc).  Anyway they put me on Rivaroxaban and after 5 days I started  peeing blood (haematuria) over a 3 days period which freaked me out big time !!  I've had no recurrence now for 5 weeks and my urine is seems back to normal . However they were't sure if the haematuria was due to the Rivaroxaban or someting else - so I've underwent a variety of tests including haemo/bio , psa , dre , kidney/bladder ultrasounds and a cystoscopy which have all been clear - I have a echocardigarm scheduled for next week afterwhich I hope i can get back to living a normal life.

I got back on my bike today for the first time since and I did 15 miles and felt really energised afterwards.  I do have some reservations on being on Rivaroxaban long term as there is no antidote (unlike warfarin) - but i'm probably going to be on it for 6 months - I will just need to go easy on my bike and make sure that I don't fall off - LOL wink     

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

ChooChoo,

I was told Rivaroxyban has a half life of 12hrs - I guess that's the antidote- simply stop taking the med...

• Posted

-, away forward

the half life is generally dependent on age/health  of an individual - so  during hours 13-26 whilst it's still active in your body is still heck of a long time during which time you can bleed to death.  Thx for your advise which i wont be taking wink  

• Posted

Hi ChooChoo,

well it seems like our lives are in our hands - budget permitting...

I am not competant to give advise - nor would I feel compelled to, however I have found a pdf document on the net - I do not know if it is a credible document, from a credible source...(i will post a link and can peruse whilst its being moderated) here is an extract...btw it gets quite complicated and I do not like needles or the sight of blood....so oral administration for me...

Guidelines for Warfarin Reversal with Vitamin K

Reversal of warfarin is complex. Guidelines published in CHEST 2004 provide greater understanding of how to manage warfarin reversal using vitamin K. Below is a summary of these guidelines.

Introduction

When the INR (International Normalized Ratio) is in therapeutic range and therapy is interrupted, the INR will return to normal in 4-5 days. Treatment with vitamin K substantially reduces the INR in 24 hours. Since the absolute bleeding risk is low even in the presence of an excessively prolonged INR, patients may be managed by interruption of warfarin therapy and monitoring frequently, provided the patient is not at high risk of bleeding or already developed bleeding.

Warfarin Resistance

When large doses of vitamin K are administered, warfarin resistance may occur for up to a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.