PE, Apixaban and stomach bug?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi again,

I was diagnosed with bilateral PE three days ago and I'm now on Eliquis Apixaban. Fortunately (touch wood!) I've had no adverse reaction or even side effects of the drug.

However a couple of nights ago my little boy was profusely sick...from both ends and my partner and other son have been complaining of nausea. And now I have nausea and diarrhoea!

Do I need to see a GP if I start vomiting? I am getting lots of "advice" from loving family members but I need to sort the "dramatic" from the "good"!

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi there sorry to hear this . Last thing you need 😕. If you are concerned then just do it , I would , I would probably say your body is just be fighting anyway and then if you get tired and depleted it's not going to help .

    If it was me and you feel worried call the doctors or on call as its Easter, just see if they can help with anything

    Take care and go steady


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Keniki :-)

       I have asked this question as Norovirus usually visits me each year! :-(

       The doctors told me that if I couldn't take the pill for more than 24 hours then I should swap onto injections until I'm able to take them again. I am on the pills for life now so this was advice into the future. You're at the stage where you're on a treatment dose preventing further clots so I would definitely see your doctor to sort this

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Catherine.

      Thanks for the reply! At the moment I am not being sick I just have tummy cramps and the runs. But if I start it sounds like I am better seeing the GP. Thank you!

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    If I had to rethink how I handled my PE again I would select a specialist like a Hemotologist to monitor my progress after a PE rather then remain with my primary doctor as a gate keeper.  A primary doctor is usualy the doctor most people use bu I would certainly recomend a specialist like a Hemotologist.  Perhaps even see  a vascular surgeon on a yearly basis particularl if I have shortness of breath.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up