Peak Flow normal but tight chest and hard to breathe in

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All,

I am a late 30s male and had post nasal drip for years and eventually a sore throat for many months.  Allergy tests confirmed I am allergic to various things and the initial spirometer put me at a 79 lung age with an FVC of 61% and an FEV1 of 62%.  I have been on some strong inhalers for several months and am now at a 72 year lung age with 70% FVC and an FEV1 of 68%.  My peak flow when I started was around 450 average and now it is up to 500 average.  Occasionally, I have asthma attacks where my peak flow goes down to around 390 or so and a rescue inhaler helps.  Other times (such as right now) I have a tightness in my sternum, feel like I can't take a full breath, but my peak flows are normal.  The spirometry report seems in indicate I have obstructive and restrictive lung issues.  The asthma/allergies seem to cause the obstructive but I don't know what is causing the restrictive as my chest x-ray a year ago was normal.  The restrictive can't take a full breath/tight chest feeling seems to mainly happen in the winter.  Any thoughts and what do people in the same situation do to relieve the tight chest/can't take a full breath issue?  The doctor was hoping me taking such strong inhalers that my situation would be somewhat reversible.  Going from 79 to 72 lung age is better but I guess not the greatest as I most likely have permanent damage from growing up with second hand smoke and animals (which I am allergic to).

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Based on my height, a high 600/low 700 peak flow would be normal for me but my average again is currently around 500.
  • Posted

I was in a simalar position had firther investigates and have a degree of copd  as well as asthma I have been on different meds but keep getting chest infections antibiotics and steroids this helps at times p flow and fev1 s  near to yours at times 

Hope it carries on improving

Regards 

• Posted

Thanks Nigel.  I don't feel like I have a chest infection so I am not sure what to do to relieve the tightness/shortness of breath.  I don't know that more rescue inhaler would help since my peak flow is normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.