Pediatric ablation... would you do it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son has recently been diagnosed with SVT based on three holter readings. They want to perform an ablation on him but i am not convinced that it's svt. He has had multiple EKG and echo of which were all normal. How safe is this for a child and is it worth it? Are there any other tests possible? Any advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm not familiar with pediatric ablations.  

• Posted

I think that I might consider getting a second opinion? Is this a pediatric cardiologist? 
  • Posted

Hi,

I believe your son would know for sure if it's SVT. I could be wrong, but in my experience, I know exactly what SVT feels like - and I've only had 3 episodes in my life. I am a 16-year-old, and I have just one episode recorded on a monitor. The doctor immediately knew it was SVT and recommended doing an EP study to know the exact cause. If there are any major problems he will ablate it. I did decide to take his recommendation, and I have my procedure scheduled. I would think of it more as an EP study than an ablation. Sounds to me like he just wants to check out what's wrong and confirm his suspicions. Your doctor should respect your view, so you could ask that they don't ablate anything and just diagnose the problem if you'd like. Personally, I'd say if they are already in there, go for it and fix it.

As far as if it's worth it, I don't know because mine hasn't happened yet!

The only other test they can really do is a stress test, which is where they will connect you to an ECG and have you run on a treadmill.

SVT doesn't have to be and usually is not a "regular" or "ongoing" thing. Episodes can be very rare, but you will know. Your heart clearly races and you don't feel right.

I hope I was able to offer some insight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.