Pedicle screw fixation surgery following L1 fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I had pedicle screw fixation surgery on February 2nd following an L1 burst fracture. I had the screws placed in T12, L1 and L2.

A doctor told me after surgery that because I am going (19) that it is likely I would get the instrumentation out of my spine again in a year / year and a half when everything is healed.

I am wondering, the surgeon never told me that this surgery was performed to fuse the vertebrae. I have tried contacting my surgeon but he will not speak to me so I cannot get answers from anybody.

Do you think this surgery was performed just to stabilise the spine until it heals? Or do you think this surgery was performed to fuse the vertebrae and then take the screws out when it is fused?

On my medical records it only says: "T12, L1, L2 pedicle screw fixation" it does not say if it is fusion surgery or not.

What do you think? Thanks in advance! 😀

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Because I am young (19) **
  • Posted

hi James ~

I have a spinal fusion from L2 - S1 and my doctor told me before my  first surgery, the hardware is there to support the spine until it fuses and that I could have the hardware removed but the recovery would take much longer....he said that only if the hardware were really  causing a problem, he suggested I keep it in and it will make that vunerable area that much sturdier.  I've had mine in for over 10 yrs now and the hardware has not bothered me at all.  

I'm so sorry you had to address that problem at such a young age.  I wish you the best and I hope I was able to help you.

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi Frustrated, hmm... It sounds very like what I was told then.

I was told that the metal would be going in to hold the spine in place because the fracture was unstable but no doctor I spoke to mentioned fusion.

After surgery, a doctor told me I might get it out in a year or so because I am young and so I assumed it was just in there to hold things in place but it sounds like what you said, getting the metal out after the bones have fused.

In the back of my mind I am hoping that it is not fusion surgery as my range of motion has been so badly affected! Lol, thanks so much for responding, your reply has actually been very helpful! Hope you're keeping well

• Posted

Hi James ~

If you had the rods and cages put in, it is a  fusion.  I'm not sure why the doctor didn't explain the entirety of the surgery, I would definitely get to the bottom and ask why it wasn't explained.  He may  have thought that you needed repair or face the possibility of being disabled for life.  So, with that said, I hope you're healing well and remember, it takes about a year to a year and a half to totally heal!  No jumping out of planes b4 then. lolcheesygrincool

• Posted

Hi again haha, I did get rods put in but not cages. Oh my word, I actually don't know where to start when I try explaining to people how bad the hospital I ended up in was lol! I went for my first post-op checkup on the 25th May, 16 weeks after surgery and the surgeon wouldn't speak to me lol! He was walking around and I seen him many times and requested to speak to him as I had drove 100 miles and waited four months with a list the length of my arm worth of questions to ask but he wouldn't see me lol. I got a different doctor then who must have been a junior in training and he didn't know the first thing about my surgery, injury or anything so that was a total waste and disappointment lol.

I was so gutted because I wanted to ask him if it was a fusion surgery among other things but I guess I just have to guess for myself haha.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm still nowhere near right but it's only been just over 4 months so it's early days still haha.

I think I might contact the surgeons secretary and request to see him or get his email and message him my questions as it could be the only way to figure out these things haha.

Do all fusion surgerys require cages? I know I definitely didn't get them in and I had an X-ray done in my local hospital at 12 weeks and it didn't look like the bones were fused or joining you know, would you be able to see fusion in an X-ray do you think?

Thanks and take care 😊

• Posted

I'm so frustrated for you, go back to your GP and ask to be referred back to another neuro at a different hospital and start from the beginning if you have to. I just took the docs word for it that I would be ok and now 14 years on I'm so annoyed I didn't shout a bit louder at the beginning. This is your life it's affecting so do what you have to to get answers, good luck and take it easy with your recovery😊

• Posted

Hi Caroline, that's exactly what I done haha! I'm being referred to see a different spinal surgeon in a hospital closer to me and hopefully they provide me with a little more information haha, thanks! Take care 😊

• Posted

That's brill James, I hope you get your answers, keep us updated and take care 😊

• Posted

Ah hopefully lol! Thanks, that's really nice of you 😊 You too! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.