Peeling Skin on Clitoris - LS or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with LS in August and have been treating it with steroid ointment and various moisturisers/emollients. Aside from some minor itching and small tears every now and again, things have been much better.

However, from time to time, I'll find that skin will peel away from my clitoris, leaving a slightly raw patch that eventually heals. My clitoris already has what I'd describe as a white film over it (from what I'd assume is LS-related) that has not disappeared even with the steroid, but from research I've never seen one of the typical symptoms being peeling skin. I thought it could be fungal, because my recent fungal rashes, mostly from sweating, had peeling/flaking skin. I have used 0.5% steroid and an anti-fungal on it separately, where the skin would seem to stop peeling, but the problem, of course, was not knowing which treatment it responded to!

Has anyone else had symptoms of peeling skin on their clitoris, from LS or otherwise?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

KT, I have not experienced that but it sounds like what is considered scarring. Have you told the doc who diagnosed you about this? I most definitely would to see if there is anything you can do to insure you won't get scarred over.

I use a steroid as well as a hormone cream an anti-fungal (the latter was supposed to prevent soreness) and have most recently added Tacrolimus. I can't tell now exactly how any of these are affecting me specifically.

The derm prescribed the Tac twice a day five days a week, then the steroid once a day on weekends and to continue the hormone cream as I was using it. I no longer have access to the gyn who prescribed the hormone cream with the antifungal every night, but as I think that is causing swelling I am using it less.

Personally, I think we need to be seen by these docs more than we are as they seem to be playing fast and loose with these meds. So many of us are on different protocols it makes me wonder if there are any standards or enough studies done to know how much we should be using.

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

Yes, I thought the white film was scarring as nothing seems to make it return to the usual pink colour.

I haven't told the doctor since being first diagnosed, but I agree that seeing her again would be a good idea. Like you I was also told to use it twice a day, then once a day, etc, and now to use it twice a week indefinitely.

I'd been expecting to be referred back to my gynaecologist after the treatment as a follow-up, but was told to only go back if there were any new changes. We should be seen more, as you say, because it is still something I'm still not entirely educated on – and Google can only tell me so much!

• Posted

You know how people on LS forums share to use bicarbonate soda solution on the vulva? I did that, I may have overdone it, but my skin did peel for a while. It was scary. I used a combination steroid/antifungal cream and never peeled after that. I am on Tacrolimus right now and seeing dermatologists. I have had very little help from gynecologists.

• Posted

I've never used bicarbonate, only normal salt (if my flare is particularly bad), but looking into an anti-fungal treatment alongside the steroid sounds like a good thing to try. It is a shame we can relate on the fact there is little out there to help.

• Posted

Vita, what protocol are you on re Tacrolimus and how long have you been using it? The dermatologist told me to use it twice a day 5 days a week then the steroid once a day on the remaining two days....forever. Curious if anyone else has been using so much of it. I know someone was easing off it. Was that you?

• Posted

I did 6 weeks 2 x day. I just finished the course. The doctor's PA saw me and said it looks pretty good and she would not say I had LS anymore. Now, I have to do 3 months of steroid (whichever I choose) and Protopic (Tacrolimus) on weekends. I decided I am not going to do steroid every day, but will use the Protopic one day a week probably. We cannot be on it forever. It did cause cancer in mice, not humans, but I am not willing to be a statistic.

Also, I did push for Lyme testing (I had to persuade her!!), and lo and behold, I came back positive exactly for the Lyme bacteria - both IgG past exposure and a current IgM exposure. So now, I am starting 2 weeks of doxycycline. I knew there was an infectious agent behind LS, but never thought Lyme, as I do not live in an area with Lyme. Beverly, was that you who mentioned it on another thread? If yes, thank you! I owe you big! Looking forward to seeing the end of LS, if that is possible.

• Posted

Hi, how often have you been using the clob? and have you been putting clob on your clitoris every day? because I am wondering if that might be why you are experiencing peeling skin. Anyhow it is probably a good idea to go and have it looked at for peace of mind.

• Posted

I'll use it twice a week (or more if I have a flare) alongside an emollient and moisturiser. Annoyingly the skin hasn't peeled for days now, but like you say, it is still a good idea to get it checked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.