Peeling soft nails

Posted , 6 users are following.

Recently the top of my nails started peeling down because they were very soft and weak. It is probably down to a vitamin d deficiency. I am taking vit d regularly and multi vitamins and minerals. I put some nail strengthener on but it chipped of and made the peeling worse. What can I use on my nails to stop them peeling down?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

how is the quality of your skin? Any changes?

Also have you experienced any hair loss?

• Posted

I have had a bit of acne recently and my hair was coming out a lot more than the usual shedding when I washed my hair but that has gone back to normal now I am assuming because I am taking vitamins or because I have recently come off blood thinners. (it is a possible side effect from that)

• Posted

You might want to consider increasing your Biotin (vitamin B intake). Low levels of Biotin in your system may be the cause of this.

I know a really good product that will help to strengthen your hair and nails and improve your skin condition.

I personally have been taking it for a while now

• Posted

well I am taking one of those multi vitamin and minerals tablets and I am pretty sure all the b vitamins are in it. I assume my nails will be stronger from the base up now I am taking the vitamins, but my problem as that as someone who uses their hands a lot in every day life, is how do I prevent the already peeling nails at the top getting worse. The fingernails on the nails I don't use much are almost back to normal, but my thumbs and index fingers, particularly on my right hand, keep peeling and catching.

• Posted

How long have you been taking these multivitamins?

Did you see any changes upon taking the multivits?

• Posted

About a couple of months, my hair has stopped shedding so much and the nails on my left hand(I am right handed) are almost better. It is just on my right hand the nails keep catching, because I am using it more. It is my thumb index and middle finger that are the problem. I keep them really short and use hand and nail cream. Is there some sort of nail treatment that can seal them?

• Posted

Have you taken iron tablets? Also consider boosting your diet so it contains lots of biotin. For example nuts, eggs, seeds, cauliflower, avocados, sweet potato, seafood and lean meats contain biotin. Grab a handful of almonds every so often. I think you will probably find that the multivitamins are just helping to boost the suppliers bank account . It is better to take what supplements you actually need rather than small amounts of things you don't need.

• Posted

I have iron in the multivitamins and minerals, the reason I take them was because I was deficient in a couple and I was advised because I have polycystic ovaries to take other certain vitamins and minerals regularly. It was cheaper to get all of them in one rather than each separately! I am not iron deficient though. I get my vitamin levels checked regularly and I am no long deficient in vitamin d or b12 but my folate is too high apparently so I am taking a tablet every other day now. I know I don't need all of the other ones but I was told I would pee out what I didn't need! I am pescatarian so I do have quite a good diet I do eat eggs and nuts and seeds regularly. I occasionally have avocados but they can often be too hard! Thankyou for the advice, do you know any good nail creams or something to put on my nails to stop them peeling down further?

• Posted

You could boost up your linoleic acid which should help. Soaking your nails in olive oil for about fifteen minutes for a month helps too. Some people suggest using nail varnish, I don't know if that is a good idea or not though. Also Burt's Bees products for nails are supposed to be good. I have got really strong nails since taking vitamin D and calcium tablets. The only trouble is they get very hard and can break.

• Posted

I have been taking biotin and zinc supplements daily, for a year now but my nails are still peeling and tearing - probably made worse by a two week application of shellac over Christmas! Can you tell me what strength of biotin is recommended please? Also, what is the product you have been taking?

• Posted

Are you able to say what product you use please as I really could do to take something for my nails and hair?

• Posted

I am in the middle of a four month course of SILACEA, from a health food shop. It seems to have improved the quality of my hair, but my nails are still terrible, despite taking daily biotin and zinc. any advice from anyone would be most welcome, as I AM SO ASHAMED OF MY HANDS!

• Posted

have you tried vitamin d and calcium? I also used vaseline hand and nail cream. It took some time but eventually worked for me.

• Posted

Peeling nails have many different causes, for example trauma or damage to the nail, soaking your hands in hot water while doing the dishes or engaging in any other prolonged water exposure. If your fingernails are peeling but your toenails aren’t (or vice versa), this signals an external cause. If both your fingernails and toenails are peeling, this signals an internal cause. Internal causes can vary, but sometimes dry, peeling nails can indicate a vitamin deficiency, typically an iron deficiency. If your nails are causing severe pain or bleeding in addition to peeling, it could be an infection and you may want to seek medical help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.