Pegabilin - it helps!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) together with depression which is controlled by Ametrypteline. I have had quite a lot of counselling in the past as well which has helped with the depression but not so much with the anxiety. I've recently had another episode of high level anxiety and got in touch again with a Clinical Psychologist who immediately put me in touch with a (private) Consultant Psychiatrist who has put me on Pregabilin. So far, the huge some of money I paid for the psychiatric appointment has been worth every single penny.

On days 1-4 I started on 75 mg a day and felt totally 'zonked out' almost as if I was detached from the events goint on around me. The plus side was that for the first time in years I have slept a full 8 hours every night and have woken up feeling rested - and no fuzzy head either. I am now taking 2 x 75 mg a day and my body is adjusting to it. I have an appointment with the psychiatrist next week and he will probably increase the dosage to 225 mg - 300 mg a day as a good 'maintenance' dose. I can honestly say that there has been a huge decrease in my anxiety levels and at no time in the last five days have felt any need whatsoever to reach for the diazepam. I am a lot happier knowing that there is now a non-addictive tranquilliser which when used under the supervision of a consultant has had and will continue to have such a positive impact on my life. My consultant told me that he has given Pregabilin to about 300 patients in the last few years. He said 80% had responded very well to the medication, 15% had experienced no significant improvement (nor deterioration) and 5% had reacted badly to it. Seems like I am one of the lucky ones.

Word of warning - the medication can make you feel 'spaced out' for the first 3-4 days so think very carefully indeed about driving. I waited 4 days before I could get behind the wheel with confidence in my abilities. Don't drink alcohol with it and don't take any benzodiazepams with it unless it is under the supervision of your GP. Also, as it can make you 'spaced out' for a few days ask your employer if you can have a few days off to adjust to the new medication. My employer was fine about it, is keeping me on full pay and told me to get a good rest before I go back.

The only thing I am upset (maybe even angry) about is the fact that I be most GPs know this drug exists - or, if they do, they are reluctant to give it out because of its associations with treatments for epilepsy.

In short, I believe that most people have an awful lot of calm to be gained from this drug and only a few of you will react badly in any way to it. Yes, it can make you hungry and you can put on weight. Just ask yourself the question: \"Do I want to be a couple of stone overweight but calm and happy or do I want to be wonderfully slim but anxious, depressed and unhappy?\" The answer is easy, isn't it?

So to everyone out there, Pregabilin will help most of you. Talk to your GP about it and try it for a limited period and see if it helps.

Last thing - my consultant told me that one of the reasons he gives his patients pregabilin is because it has no contra-indications with any other medicine. So long as you do not drink alcohol or take tranquillisers you can continue to take any other medication you are on without having to worry about if they are compatible or not.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on 200mg at night and 2 50mg in the day and I am so tired I am very thin and also the anxiety is killing me
  • Posted

I started on 200mg then after two weeks 400mg it seemed to catch up on me I can't handle the vagueness as it gives anxiety I have also been put on Duloxetine and I am really struggling with pain anxiety and not being able to think
  • Posted

I am glad you have had a goodexperience with pregabalin and it is really helping. There are in fact a lot of people out there that have had adverse effects to it. I thought it was a miracle at first but after a while the original symptoms came though and also side effects. When I was coming offf it the withdrawal symptoms were terrible.for weeks
  • Posted

I am so glad that this works for you. It works for me also, it hasn't made me hungry or want to eat more but still I have put on over stone, now 15stone 8lbs, and the extra weight is effecting my legs, also I have no control over passing wind which is very embarrassing . I am also on VensirXL which I will look into and ask the doctor if I increases my doseage on that and came off the Lyrica how that would work.  I sincerely hope you continue be be well.
  • Posted

I seem to remember reading this a little while ago

pregabalin was quite wrong for me. At first I thought it was a miracle and then very quickly the side effects set in and coming off it was a nightmare. I have now hear of quite a few peo-le who have had the same trouble. For me it was  a dangerous drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.