Pegloticase (trade name Krystexxa) questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Pegloticase (trade name Krystexxa) questions:

Can anyone relate their

(1) experiences, side effect, especially with breathing issues - and (2) pricing per session under blue cross blue shield?

(I am allergic to the other gout drugs - and have had a very bad experience with another iv drip drug and seriously doubt I will ever use this drug -  but would like to hear 1st hand experiences.)

Still looking for that magic - thank you for your help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

All I can tell you is what the UK regulatory authorities say: it’s an effective drug initially in all patients but that it becomes less effective in many patients quite quickly (not all). 

It was rejected in the UK for use on the grounds that it costs £54,000 per yea of treatment 

It was refused a marketing lisence in the E.U. but I don’t know why. 

Interestingly the technology is extraordinary in that what they have done is genetically manufactured a drug which would naturally be produced by pigs to reduce blood urate!

I assume you have bad tophi- I wish you good health.

• Posted

Blue Cross blue shield has many different tiers of prescription drug pricing depending on your plan, your provider website will have the exact pricing. List price is $60K / year in the US.
  • Posted

Try  Bromelain ,,for pain,, and Cherry Effect .to break up the crystals ..No side effects, as they are herbal .
    • Posted

Just noticed that you are talking dollars /the tablets are in the U.K, 
    • Posted

This drug is for very serious cases with tophi. Do you think the herbs would work for that? Do the herbs keep your symptoms under control or do they keep the blood urate low?
    • Posted

I think this isn't a question that can't be answered definitively without testing.

My experience is Resv eratrol is powerful uric acid reducer, but no one has any financial incentive to do a study on this, unfortunately.

Bromelain is a set of enzymes that metabolize Uric acid, but I don't think its powerful enough to reduce blood Urate to a safe level long term. I view it as similar to colchicine, for short term relief.

• Posted

As I understand it the drug can be used on private prescription in the UK but the drug isn’t available on the NHS due to a lack of long-term efficacy compared to the price.

Judging by the lack of responses it seems not many people have tried it (not surprising at £54k a year compared to allopurinol 5,400 times cheaper!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.