Pellet hormone therapy for vaginal dryness (atrophy) and Chtonic insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Small rice like hormone pellets put in by the hip buttock area used for a multitude of hormonal reasons but I am looking at vaginal atrophy and insomnia after full hysterectomy.  Any one know anything about this

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have been using estradiol oestrogen implants on and off since 1990 after full hysterectory.  The off time was when they stopped making the pellets so had to use patches - not completely satisfactory.  So I found a compound chemist who makes the pellets (needed dr's script) and am now back on them.

I had hiccups when my gp insisted I used provera as well "for balance".  Surgical menopause does not need "balance".  Progesterone made my oestrogen ineffective and full menopause symptoms returned.

A 100mg (12 month) pellet used to only last me 9 months.  When I went back onto the pellets made by the private compound company they did not last much more than 4 months but that might have been caused by the Provera.

In case you do not know, the 'strength" of the pellet e.g. 100mg is not the strength the body gets from it.  In actual fact the body takes only what it needs when it needs it - different for various times of the day.  The 'strength' is about how long it lasts.  A 50mg will not last very long and costs just about the same as 100mg.

Before I went on an overseas holiday, I did not want to have any problems due to my pellet running out, so I requested 2 x 100mg to last me longer.  That was March, and it is still going well now (August) - crossed fingers.  Some drs who do not know this fact would probably have an apoplexy and think I am getting too much oestrogen.

I have it implanted in my abdomen fat - it must be implanted into fat to be effective.

It relieves all my symptoms of menopause (including severe face and head sweating).  If I was late replacing the patches, I would get a wave of anxiety or depression sweep over me and I worked out it was because I was about 3 hours late replacing the patch.  The patches used to run out early for me too.

For vaginal atrophy, I do supplement with Vagifem (estradiol vaginal pellets) and estriol vaginal cream on the outside which keeps away splits and fissures.

I am now 67, and because of the severe symptoms I get when my oestrogen is low, it is obvious my body needs it, so I don't intend going off it.  I sleep well.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl it’s so great to here from another person who understands and takes the implant...

I just began it end July and it’s the best decision I ever made... I’m hoping there’s no long term side affects from this and after hearing your long term with no complications I’m thrilled... I’m takin the wild yam inserted above my buttocks.. I had it done in NC but I’m home in CAD NS for summer/fall.. Procefure not fond here so I’ll have to fly back to NC for next insert.. my biggest complaint was I became very gloomy sad depressed with my menopause.. within 2 weeks I was back to my old self 💕

• Posted

Hi Sheryl I’m happy to hear from another person who is on the pellet... are u in the states.. I had mine done I. NC... but mine must be different... bio identical.... wild yam... because they tested my hormones first before implanting the pellet; said in order to see what dosage I would need that would suit my levels... but your mg’s are based on longevity not dosage... so I’m not sure..I couldn’t stand the anxiety and sadness that crept upon me... was absolutely horrible... I’ve nvr felt better... I really don’t know what I would of done had I not found this pellet method... my heavy chest alone with indigestion acid reflux feeling put me on my ass fir a couple years... I don’t use a vaginal cream I’m not sure about that but maybe in time I’ll need that too....

I take 200mg progesterone... and a VIT in daytime to help absorb the pellet release daily... let me know what You think.... 

• Posted

Hi Karen, I am from Australia.  First I must impress that I am using estradiol oestrogen pellets, estradiol being bio-available but it is synthetically formulated based on a plant - maybe yam, maybe not.  I did read it sometime ago but do not remember what.

Perhaps yours is different. And your drs have a different idea of how pellets work.  Pellets are different to oral tablets.  Perhaps you can enlighten them - you would have to find a paper that explains it.

A VIT (vitamin?) in daytime to help absorb the pellet release daily!!!  Is that your dr's idea?  I have not got anything against vitamins (i take them myself) but I have not heard of their necessity to help absorb the release daily.  I don't have to take progesterone as I have surgical menopause, and progesterone causes me problems, like making my oestrogen inefficient.

• Posted

I remember reading about DIM before.  A quick check on internet and first up is Webmd which says:

"Diindolylmethane might act like estrogen in the body, but there is evidence that under certain circumstances it might also block estrogen effects."

They say DIM is used to prevent oestrogen sensitive cancers, e.g. breast, prostate, etc. by reducing unwanted oestrogen in the body, and body builders use it to reduce oestrogen so that they can build more muscle.

So I can't see how it would help pellet absorption.  However, if it is working for you then great.  But if things start to go wrong, then review the use of DIM.

• Posted

Thanks Sheryl hopefully it keeps on working.. I’m being treated at a professional medical clinic specific to all this... So I’m quite confident and have nvr felt better... but always good to compare notes 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.