Pelvic congestion syndrome

Posted , 20 users are following.

Are you suffering from pelvic congestion syndrome????? I suffered for 4 years,i'd be happy to chat with anyone who has it or thinks they have it

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I am new to this but wondered if you can help?

I have had right side pelvic pain on and off the past couple of months most days. Painkillers seem to work but dont want to take these all the time! I have had a blood test for Ovarian markers which was normal, I had a scan that showed cysts on both ovaries but both small. The only thing the doctor said was my veins looked loose like varicose type veins and it maybe the pain! No one seemed definite and feel like going back! I am 48 so know things are changing now! The latest idea fron the Doctor was it could be IBS but it feels so much like period pain!thanks 

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

I had a laparoscopy in March as I've had really bad problems with my periods since as far back as I can remember. Even before I started my periods at 14 I had stabbing pains in my pelvic area that could never be explained.

I went for my follow-up last week and have finally been diagnosed with Hypervascular Peritoneum/pelvic ovarian congestion.

The weird thing for me is that I've been told this normally occurs in women who have already had pregnancies, but I don't have any children (I'm 34 and trying at the moment!). She asked if I'd had any miscarriages and I said no, but the truth is I doubt I would know for sure if I had as I've always had pain, random bleeding and other strange symptoms.

Now I'm really worried that this condition has been affecting my fertility and if I have had miscarriages would this be likely to continue? The consultant has asked me to come back to fertility clinic if I don't fall pregnant by July/August time as we would have been trying for a year by then.

It's all so worrying and confusing!

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

I've had some really bad pain in my lower left abdomen for more than 4 weeks. I've had this pain before, but never this bad or constant. Although I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis based on mild degenerative spine changes on a CT (I'm 61) both the CT scan and pelvic ultrasound (ordered by on-call doc who didn't think my pain was arthritis related) showed "prominent veins," "hypervascularity of pelvic veins,"  left pelvic vein @ .8cm and left gonadal vein @.7cm. Both reports mentioned pelvic congestion syndrome. (As an aside, the ultrasound was the second test. My REGULAR doctor told me the results were NORMAL. It wasn't until 2 days ago when I decided to pick up the report that I saw it was NOT in fact normal.) My symptoms seem to be a little different than what I've read about it, and I was hoping you could weigh in and let me know if this sounds familiar. I wake up several times a night to pee. Every few days, when I try to go back to bed, I can't because the pain starts and won't let up. Laying down, even after being up for a short trip to the bathroom, is excruciating. I'd put the pain at times close to 10. AND even if that doesn't happen, when I get up in the morning I am always in pain. The pain is to the left of my naval around 3/4 way to my flank, maybe slightly lower, on left side, and feels deep. I have to pace the floors for at least 1/2 hour before it subsides. The other day I was up at 3:30 am and had strong pain for 3 hours. Then it remains but is tolerable. I cannot sit for any length of time - even minutes - without pain. It almost feels like something is twisted in there. I do also have pain in my back flank. Going to the bathroom (bm) is the worst part of my day - it kills me, and can trigger an hour's worth of pain. I've read the pain of PCS gets worse as the day wears on; mine seems to get better as the day wears on. I have been taking one tramadol in the morning just to help me through it. But it doesn't matter what time of day it is - I cannot sit without pain. And if I stand still, I have pain and have to move around. Since they said it was osteoarthritis, I first started with high doses of ibuprofen, which didn't help. Then a round of steroids, which also didn't help. PT, which didn't help. This has been so incredibly frustrating. There's more to the story, but I won't bore you with details. Let's just say my faith in doctors has taken a hit.

I am hoping you can weigh in and let me know if this could be PCS. I have an appt. with a radiologist Monday.

Thank you so much,

Terry

• Posted

Have you been tested for nutcracker syndrome? When the left kidney vein is pressed off and blood sent into pelvis dilating ovarian veins and the likes, causing pelvic congestion.

• Posted

Can you tell me if you think I could have it ? Started pain in my lower back and lower abdominal when I was 35 yrs am now 67yrs. Chronic ache burning,soreness,just got worse over years,also dragging underneath. Trouble standing,walking,sitting,.Had loads of tests drugs injections, nothing has helped or been properly diagnosed. Can you help please?
  • Posted

Hello,

yes,

I would like to know how you were diagnosed.

I have the feeling the imaging my daughter got so far was half heartedly done and not looked for blood supply or vein issues in general.She is only 14 though and I don't know the age group.

TA!

• Posted

Here I am replying to myself.

But in case anyone reading through.

After a lot of wrong and rubbish tests,

my daughter is positive with pelvic congestion, and nutcracker and MALS (medican arcuate ligament syndrome).

Often females have an anatomy - hence it is often females suffering and it is NOT psychological or IBS- that makes them prone to vascular compressions. 

A Dr., can't put his name here as it will be deleted, found out, that often especially females not only suffer one syndrome, but many at once at different locations, because everything starts to twist and collaps.

If one has wide hips (we females) and a lumbar lordosis,

chances are very high, that your diaphram will be pulled differently as we are upright walking people.

MALS compresses the coeliac artery and/or the coeliac plexus giving you endless nausea and vomiting.

Nutcracker syndrome is not to be confused with nutcracker phenomenon.

The first you have symptoms, the latter you have no symptoms as either the compression is not bad enough or collaterals formed not bothering you.

Nutcracker is a shape of aorta to SMA, a too small angle squeezing the left renal vein in it like a nut.

The dammed blood goes into collaterals, up your spine, down your pelvis and depending how bad and what they entangle, ureter, ovaries, it hurts, it plain hurts.

Underneath the same angle sits the duodenum, hence often it is compressed too causing you to loose weight by involuntary vomiting and some can't even have liquids. You are not someone with an anorexia nervosa, you have a physical disability to pass food through this clamp.

I urge everyone with pelvic pain to be tested for nutcracker and the likes.

• Posted

I just posted a new discussion asking this, But I'm not sure if anyone can answer here. What do you do to manage pain from PCS. The bloating, pressure and constant pain is so frustrating as I wait for my ultrasound and then my treatment plan (which could take another month or so. 

I know sitting with your legs propped up, and flexing your feet, even using cortisone cream help varicose veins in your legs. I can't find any tips for managing pain from varicose veins in the pelvic area, there is nothing out there.

Thanks in advance! 

• Posted

I think I may have it but idk what to do for the excruciating pain. It has literally destroyed My health and life. I struggle to make it everyday. I have never been in the ER or hospital as I have this last year. I've had one Doctor just recently mention this condition. With so many issues that have a lot of the same symptoms it hard to diagnosis I guess ?!  If I could get a CT, MRI or ultrasound in  upright position then I believe it maybe seen. I've gained a lot of weight. The bloating has Me wearing sweat pants everyday. I can't imagine a button or anything just fitted. I know this doesn't help but I understand and look forward to the discussion!  Thanks! Sherri

• Posted

Hi sherriugh53. I am 59 years old and as of nine months ago I have been having problems with my routine exams. They attempted the laparoscopy  procedure and that didn’t work so they did the Leep Procedure.  After all of these procedures I started having a dull pain in my right side, I thought that it might be an infection from all of the other procedures that they were trying on me. They found stage 3 dysphasia and my doctor informed me that I would have to have a hysterectomy. I told my doctor that I was still having pain and thought it was an infection that would have to be gone before surgery. My Dr ordered a Ct scan. They found pelvic congestion. It seems like the more active I am the more it hurts! I didn’t understand the weight gain and my belly was getting bigger. Now I understand! I’m hoping to be free of this pain after my hysterectomy. The pain is always there and there is nothing that you can do about it, It sucks! My husband just went through cancer surgery and had his stomach and half of his colon removed. I have been praying that i didn’t have cancer because I have other people who need me. Thank you God that it wasn’t cancer. Will be praying for everyone tonight that has this condition, it is very painful.
  • Posted

Sorry just saw 2 years old!  Anyone or Shelly what has happened?!
  • Posted

Think I have I!  It is excruciating when I sit!  I was also on a huge dose of gabapentin which caused severe nerve pain in same area!  It's been a medical nightmare for 5 years. Lowered My gabapentin,  just had MRI on pelvic. My Primary just didn't seem to believe Me or didn't know what to do as I kept telling him about pain. Pain so bad it literally just wore My body out. I hated waking up because it's the only time I wasn't aware of pain when sleeping. I often woke up sitting on side of bed bent over. My spine has bent in a way as I'm trying to protect the pelvic. I got a Interventional Radiologist who believes Me and this week I hope to get results. I've squirmed from pain so much it feels like I'm out of place in my hip and pelvic area. Plus it's created abdominal nerve pain. Like I said it's been 5 years as I kept being sent to GI Doctor. They say it's very hard to diagnose and I imagine it is  as when I've laid down on back for CT scan it seems to all be back in place. I need imagining from sitting position. OMG sitting hurts so bad!  Xmas I'm getting a recliner that takes pressure off the pelvic and low back. How about You?!  Oh!  The bladder problems too!

• Posted

Sorry. Just saw 2 years old
    • Posted

Hey do you feel bloated where your undie line is constantly and when you sit you feel like your back is squeezing?
  • Posted

I was just told that through ultra sound and a CT that I had pelvic congestion, but it seems I have pain way higher than what I've read about this so far. I have very intense and sharp pains on both sides of my pelvic that sends shooting pains up through my stomach when I'm laying down and go to roll from on side to the next. Or if I'm laying with my knees up toward my chest and go to straighten my legs, that pain shoots up to my stomach. Anyone else have the pain go up instead of down?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.