Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Posted , 6 users are following.

How can u tell if u have pfd? Does physical therapy help and for how long do you have to go?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fern I was diagnosed 18 months ago with pfd specifically levator ani syndrome I have had 12 sessions of pelvic floor physio and have made great strides since I started ..I still have flare ups but doing my stretches everyday and now strengthening and also internal massage when needed I am slowly getting better I had a hypertonic and weak pelvic floor my physio therapist found six internal trigger points vaginally and two rectally

• Posted

yes sore spots that cause the muscles to tense and tighten ..when she touched them sore spirs they would intensly burn but the burning would dissipate as,she held gentle pressure there now i have no trigger points vaginally

• Posted

Thank you Paisleygirl. I have vaginal atrophy. It will go away for a day or two, I am on hormones but it comes back. It is deep in vagina. Dr. wants me to have internal massage. Nervous about it but fed up with the pain.

• Posted

I know from having it done to me by massage therapists that pressing on any knots makes them gradually release (have even done it to myself), but I've never heard of vaginal ones. Are they also knots, individual areas or the same for everyone? Trying to understand how this therapy came into being. Is this all these therapists do? Am assuming you are in the UK?

Someone mentioned this in a post some time ago, but I forget what her issue was. Maybe painful sex because of tightening muscles (vaginismus). Is that what you had or is PFD something different?

• Posted

I am in Canada and yes the vaginal and rectal muscles are tight my pelvic floor was extremely tight and weak which caused tons of burning vaginally and rectal pressure feeling like I have to poop all the time due to a tight levator ani ...I am in a flare at the moment and my levator ani is extremely tight so I do rectal massage to try to loosen it up

• Posted

Hi Paisleygirl,

I am a little behind in reading these posts. I too am in Canada and have terrible rectal pain/pressure (and that constant feeling that i need to go). I am having internal pt for pfd but i have never heard of the levator ani. Instead, i have been diagnosed with pudendal neuralgia. Did you have a difficult time determining what was causing the rectal pressure? I am still questioning my diagnosis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.