Pelvic Floor Dysfunction physical therapy for Vaginal Atrophy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can someone tell me what physical therapists do for pelvic floor dysfunction? I am under the impression they do exercises but the dr made me think they actually go inside the vagina and for better words massage the inside of vagina.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fern,

They do both. Some therapists do not do internal work so I had to search for one that did both. I guess it also comes down to what you are comfortable with. I wanted to make sure I had an opportunity to try all available treatment approaches.

Good luck.

• Posted

Not yet but I have not been at it for very long.

• Posted

julie

how long have u been doing pt. do they go into your vagina?

• Posted

About 4 weeks now. And yes, they are doing internal physio. It is done very professionally and gently and will only be done if you are comfortable with it. If not, you can do regular physiotherapy instead.

• Posted

julie how is your therapy going any improvement? Please let me know. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Fern,

The physiotherapist i am seeing utilizes a biopsychosocial approach to treatment for pelvic floor dysfunction. As a result, many of our sessions are spent discussing the mind/body connection and how I can calm my nervous system on my own. In addition to hands on treatment, she is teaching me many relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga and Qi Gong specific to pelvic health. This is not going to be a quick fix for me as my issues are many and i cannot use many of the medications and creams that other women are able to use for these problems. So, although i do not believe my pain has changed yet, i would like to think that my ability to cope with the pain is improving.

Have you had a pt session yet? If not, maybe you should try it to see if it is for you. Finding the right therapist is key.

• Posted

Hi Fern,

I did pelvic floor PT. It's no worse than going to the gynecologist. Some will use instruments and others their fingers. You'll be in a private room and they are, or at least mine was, very professional. It's a really good thing to try, for years I thought I was doing my kegels right and I wasn't. They teach you the correct way to do them, plus exercises that you do at home to strengthen your pelvic floor, which helps a ton if you're having bladder issues. I went twice a week for a little over a month and noticed a difference. I consulted with her about devices to help at home. I'm not sure the moderators will allow this so I wont put in any links but you can look up kegel exercisers, I bought one, Intimina Kegel Smart, and I love it. Takes the guess work out of how long you're holding the squeeze and how many reps you do. Takes about 10 min a day and as you get stronger it'll lengthen how long you can hold the squeeze. My therapist was really very happy with the results. Give it a try with the therapist, I think you'll be happy with what you learn.

Good Luck!

• Posted

did it take pain away

• Posted

Depends on what kind of pain you're feeling. In my case, I was feeling as if my bladder was trying to escape via my vagina. I had a lot of pressure, sitting was terrible but standing was just awful. I'd occasionally get stabbing pains. I was more painful from dryness and itching which caused UTIs, yeast infections and BV. My doc put me on Estrace cream and then the PT. That was a year ago, for the most part everything is back to as normal as it will be. I still have bad days but I'll take it over the intense misery I was in. The goal of PT is to strengthen your pelvic floor..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.