Pelvic pain resolved

Posted , 3 users are following.

I posted a while back.about some fierce pelvic pain. It was like a knife jabbing me inside and would stop me in my tracks if walking. I had a load of tests but couldn't cope with a smear test as it was so painful - they were going to have to do it under anaesthetic. Anyway a transvaginal ultrasound found nothing and it did eventually go away. Then it started coming back and what stopped it was a certain vaginal moisturiser. It was dryness all along even though the pain felt further up. 

So to anyone of a certain age suffering pain like mine - it's worth a shot.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi chris2 was your pain just front or was it rectal as well? What vaginal moisturiser are you using?dr put me on vagifem then estriol but these didn't help 

• Posted

Hi

It was mainly deep inside - like someone had shoved a knife up there.  I would get random stabbing pains when walking that were so severe - they would stop me in my tracks. Not rectal except when opening the bowels when the whole of my pelvic area was affected and the pain would even migrate down the thighs. I guess we have a lot of nerve endings round there and therefore pain can manifest away from the actual source. I used to have to steel myself to go to the toilet!

Even the gynaecologist didn't suspect that dryness was the issue. I guess we tend to think of it causing soreness and discomfort rather than sharp pain.

I now use Replens intermittently (didn't want to mention it in case it came across as spam). But it's expensive for me. I understand you can get it on prescription but I haven't liked to ask. Just to add I'm over 20 years post menopause so do have extreme dryness. In a younger person, the cause would be more suspect. Plus of course pain should always be investigated but something like Replens is worth a shot.

Years back I tried a product called Yes (don't know if you can still get it) but it didn't help much.

Also I did try Vagifem once and it worked like a dream but my hair started coming out in handfuls so I stopped!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.