Pelvic pain ultrasound

Posted , 3 users are following.

This morning I had a pelvic ultrasound done at the hospital. I found it strange that this time around the tech kept asking me to cough. Ive had pelvic ultrasounds done in the past but I don't recall being asked to cough during it.

She also asked me if I took hormones which also is a new question.

I wondered if anyone has heard of this or knows why they ask you to cough or about hormones? Now I'm worried more than ever simply because it was different from previous scans.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm pretty sure they are checking for a herinia when they ask you to cought. I've had a herinia ultrasound and coughing opens the herinia so they can see it.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. You were right because they found 4 hernias.
  • Posted

Can you describe the type of symtoms you were getting from the herinia?
    • Posted

I was having dull but steady pelvic pain. It went on for 48 hours so I went to the ER and they ordered an ultrasound for the next day. the pain wasn't bad , it was just more  annoying than anything but I was concerned because it lasted 2 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.