Pelvic pain when using the toilet, could it be endometriosis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm on the contraceptive pill (have been now for 10 years), I've never really suffered with period pains and for the last 3-4 years my periods have changed from medium flow for 5 ish days to very light flow for 1-2 days (the doctor reassured me this was just the pill and was normal when it started a few years ago).

The past few months I've started feeling twinges around the time of my period and now it feels like a sharp stabbing in my lower pelvic region, it almost feels like something is pulling like when you tweezer eyebrow hairs. It is a suddena And sharp pain that is worse when I push with muscles down there, for example to use the toilet, urinate etc.

Also sometimes after sex I get the same pain and it reaches to my abdomen, a very sharp crampy pain.

Could this be endometriosis? Any ideas what could be causing this strange pain?

(Also might be worth mentioning a few months ago the doctor suspected and ovarian cyst so I had the ca125 blood test and an ultrasound - all came back normal)

Thank you in advance smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi abi

If symptoms persist you need to ask for a referral to a gynaecologist to do further tests. It is not normal to experience pain and it needs to be investigated.

It could well be endometriosis and there are several treatment options depending on your circumstances. Etc. Which you can discuss when you know exactly what is causing the pain.

Good luck

Julie

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Thank you for you reply. I am going to book an appointment with my doctor, it's just a pain that there is usually about a 3 week wait to get seen.

😊

• Posted

while anything is possible...my inclination would be to believe that this is an ovarian cyst. Just in my experience though. Definitely get it checked out by your gyno. praying for you xoxo
    • Posted

Hi Heatherflowpow,

Thankyou for your reply. I convinced myself that I had an ovarian cyst when a few months ago I bloated almost overnight, the bloat stayed for over 3 weeks when I booked to see the doctor (it did not fluctuate throughout the day or after eating etc.). They sent me for an ultrasound 2-3 months ago which came back clear.

Could it have been undectected? (I had an abdominal ultrasound and the lady doing it was confident there was nothing there)

Thank you 😊

• Posted

Hi Abbi

An ovarian cyst or fibroids should both show on an external ultrasound, which you say was normal. Also a CA125 would show raised ovarian markers if there was a cyst.

Endometriosis does cause abdominal bloating and pain, and can also cause bladder/bowel complications, but only shows on an internal examination or laparoscopic or internal scan, which is why you need to request a referral to a gynaecologist for further investigation.

Hope you get an appointment soon

Julie

• Posted

Abdominal ultrasound as in, vaginal? Vaginal is how they find cysts. I don't know if they show up on other scans...

• Posted

Hi sorry for the late reply. Yes I had an external ultrasound scan. She said she could see that my ovaries were fine and didn’t need to do the internal one.

The bloating now comes and goes but the tugging/pulling pain is still there. Usually comes a day or two before my period and stays a day or two after. 

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi! I suffer from the same sort of pain during or after sex (normally lower right abdomen) and when using the toilet when let’s say I ‘push’ kind of! I’ve recently been diagnosed with endometriosis so I’d defiantly get it looked into! Doctors have also found cysts in my lower right abdomen whic they said could be causing the pain there when they rupture.

Hope you’re okay!!xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.