Pelvic swelling, 5 months now, losing hope

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some uncomfortable symptoms now for 5 months or so and have yet to find the cause. My lower abdomen/pelvic area appears very swollen and feels hard and tense. Sometimes it feels very achy similar to when i'm about to start my period especially when laying down and around night time although it bothers me at other times too. I've noticed a lot or pressure and irritation in the area too.

I'm 23 years old, have never been pregnant and use birth control pills although I've had to switch brands several times because some brands just wouldn't sync up with my cycle properly. I've tried discontinuing the pills to see if that was causing but it did not help. I have been to the obgyn and had a pelvic ultrasound but they did not see anything unusual. I asked them for any suggestions but they were rather unhelpful .. I really cannot figure out what the root cause is I really want to feel better but am quite discouraged at this point 😔

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I assume there is no way you could be pregnant? Especially if you have changed birth control pills several times. If this continues you must try to get another opinion. There are so many other things it could be. Do you get any gripey pains? Could it be appendicitis?

Have you had any swabs taken for pelvic inflammatory disease?

• Posted

they tested me for pregnancy while i was getting the ultrasound so i'm confident that's not it. The feeling is a constant dull achy feeling. Other than the abdominal swelling I don't really have other symptoms probably why i'm having difficulty figuring it out.. I don't think its appendicitis but possibly PID? I probably will have to go get a second opinion i have just had bad experiences both times at the obgyn i was seeing, maybe someone else will have better insight... thanks for your feedback!

• Posted

As you have had a scan I expect fibroids have been ruled out.

Is the pain more to the left of your abdomen than elsewhere?

• Posted

I'm having this problem too! I have burning pain in pelvis it feels inflamed and the pain goes down my legs. It gets worse at night and hurts to cross my legs. Did you find out what it was?

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are suffering. Have a look at Pelvic Congestion Syndrome and see if the symptoms fit!? It is not very well known, so GPs rarely diagnose it. you would need a transvaginal scan for a formal diagnosis. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.