Pelvic Ultrasound for PCOS/ Cysts

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

Wondering if anyone could answer my question.

I have been having lower stomach pain for about 5 months now. I wen to my doctors surgery in December and January and they thought i may have IBS, but everything they gave me didn't help with the pain i had been having. I went back on Friday and saw a new doctor. After taking my history and having a feel of my stomach, she thought that I might have a cyst on my ovary or PCOS and has referred me for a pelvic ultrasound. I know what it involves and I am fine with that, but i am still a virgin and have heard that they don't do the internal ultrasound on virgins.The doctor I saw asked if i had had sex, so she knows i am a virgin before ordering the scan. I am 18 years old.

Can they still do the internal scan if i am a virgin, I don't mind as long as I get to the bottom of my pain.

What is a pelvic scan like, i have had abdominal ultrasounds done before but not pelvic ones

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm Natasha 22,

the pelvic ultra sound is just the same but if you do not have a full bladder they will ask if it is okay to put the camera in this is very uncomfortable and as I has it and am not a virgin I hated it fingers crossed that they will not do this to you though. I also had painful lower stomach aches and after all my test and after years of being shrugged off by many doctors it was great to finally have a reason to why I had my symptoms but unfortunately I still have them as there is no cure for PCOS except the additional treatment that you will get when trying to conceive.

Hope your tests go well

xNx

• Posted

Hi cabbaga , a vaginal ultra sound should not be painful at all , a condom is placed on the gadget that the radiographer uses and this is placed at the entrance of the vagina ,the ultra sound is able to obtain pictures from here , dont be worried , and the radiographer should explain the procedure to you , and please ask her questions , ive had this procedure done many times. Please also visit the verity-pcos charity website http://www.verity-pcos.org.uk/, there will be lots of help and advice available to you there

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Got my appointment at the end of th emonth, which is quicker than I was expecting. However, I will be on my period at the time, will this effect the ultrasound. I was told by my doctor that she wanted me to have all of the scan done as the transvaignal bit gives a better picture of the ovaries, but on my appointment letter it just says transabdominal, so not sure what I am getting now. Guess I will find out when I go.
  • Posted

Got both parts of the scan done as the radiographer couldn't find my ovaries. She said at the time that she didn't see anything major and the report will go to my GP in a week so i guess i will find out more then. I hope the find something as if they don't they will probably say it is IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.