Pelvic ultrasound unusual - should I be worried?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had two failed attempts at biopsy of endometrium, one by pipelle(??) and the other by hysteroscopy with local anaesthetic.  I am having hysteroscopy done with a GA now at the end of the month.  Inbetween all of this, I have had an ultrasound scan of my womb and pelvic area.

The results have come back as follows: a thickened endometrium of 5mm, normal cut off would be less than 4mm.  A previously noted fibroid within the uterus wall has increased in size.   I have been booked in to have an MRI scan of the pelvis to look at the fibroid in much more detail. 

Are these results cause for concern? 

Marie

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I have been in menopause for 6 years and have had no children.

Marie

• Posted

The 5 mm may not be anything to worry about but it's good you're getting it checked. I had two ultrasounds and they showed different results. My doctor said sometimes it's just the difference in who is reading the results. I had a friend who was at 11 mm! She had a biopsy and all was fine. And I don't think a fibrod is anything dangerous. It may need to be removed but as far as I know, they don't become cancer. Just a nuisance.
    • Posted

I am hoping that my endometrium will be normal.

I have had a fibroid since my late 30's.  When I went into menopause it shrank, but for some reason it has got big again.  I have read that fibroids are non cancerous, so that is quite reassuring.

This whole episode started with some abnormal spotting after not having had a period for 6 years.  Since then, (about 4 weeks ago) I have been having aches and pains as if I am going to have a period but never do.  The aches and pains are low back ache, pelvic pain and that awful drawing achy feeling in your thighs.  This was how I used to feel just before my period and then when my period started all the aches and pains went away.  I am wondering whether I am going to be in a constant state of feeling like I am going to have a period.

I am not sure what the gynae is going to do to get into my womb, the first attempt at hysteroscopy failed because my cervix would not dilate.  I guess they might have to cut me to get inside or they are going to have to be a bit rougher with the metal rods to get in.  Think I might be a bit sore afterwards.

I am just hoping that everything will be OK and the biopsy will be normal.

Marie

• Posted

Hi marie

A pipelle is just the device they use to take a sample of ur womb. If ur awake for the procedure you feel no more than a stinging pinch. I had one last March, thankfully all ok. I have a bulky uterus, endometriosis and adenomyosis but otherwise ok. I think the pipelle is plastic if I remember correctly xx

• Posted

I had that too. Not much more than a pap. A little more of a cramp when they take the sample but certainly nothing terrible. And over on a flash.
    • Posted

Hi Donna

The pipelle was the first attempt and you are right, I did not feel anything.  The consultant could not get access and then hysteroscopy with a local was tried.  This failed too as the consultant could not open my cervix with the metal rods.  It seems that because I have had no children and the fact that I have been in menopause for 6 years, it makes it difficult to get inside the womb.

It has not been explained to me yet how access inside my womb will be attempted.  Guess I shall find out in two weeks.

Marie

• Posted

Possibly laparascopically? This is minimally invasive with small cuts around ur naval. Fingers crossed for you, I'm sure you'll be just fine
  • Posted

Oh honey I hope all will be well for you. I'm sure it will and at least it is all being checked out for you and so it'll get it sorted swap. If it was anything sinister they would have said I'm sure.

It's all such a worry I know.

I had my scan last Friday and a week later they have called just to say to make a "non urgent appointment" with my doctor. This is now on 25th. As they said it was non urgent I'm hoping all is ok but after reading your post maybe I have some thickening or something like you.?

Trying not to worry as I have heard that they call u very swiftly if they have concerns.

I'm thinking of you hunni and keep me posted. Big hugs xxxx

• Posted

Hi Louise

That's what I am trying to tell myself, that they would have indicated to me if they thought that something was wrong.

I had the MRI scan today, they don't hurt so that was ok but I did have to have 20mg of Buscopan injected into my vein to relax the bowel so that they could get better pictures of my womb and the offending fibroid.  I shall have to wait and see what consultant says when I see him in two weeks for my hysteroscopy by GA.

I have my pre-op assessment next Wednesday and on Tuesday I am at haematology having my regular venesection treatment for haemochromatosis.

Think I should have my own parking space at the hospital as I always seem to be there, lol.

I hope your appointment with the doctor goes well on the 25th.

Big hugs to you and likewise let me know how you get on.

Marie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.