Pelvis, Hip and penis pain - Please help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all

I'm in need of some advice please!

In December 2013 I woke with a pain in the side of my penis and slight burning after urination. I went to the Dr and was given antibiotics for suspected UTI but they did nothing. The initial pain in the groin subsided but I then had pain across my pelvis (left side) and up towards my lowest rib at the back. The Dr sent me for a CT scan of Kidneys, Urethra and Bladder and this was normal - along with normal Prostate check via bloods and physical examination. I also had a cystoscopy which showed a small benign polyp and this was removed - just as a precaution.

The discomfort in my pelvis and hip (and occasionally my groin/penis) went on until June 2014 and then it slowly but surely disappeared. Unfortunately this wasn't the end of it and in 2015 I had small episode where the pelvic and hip pain returned and the in 2016 I had a much worse episode which lasted about 3 months from January to April.

So here I am, in 2018 and I have it again - and badly. I've been seeing a chiropractor, Osteopath and Physio as it feels like its a muscles/nerve thing but does this resonate with anyone out there? I never have an urge to urinate and my flow is always good - no blood. My bowels movements are also good and as they should be.

Its just the constant feeling of discomfort which is really getting me down. The Dr has just booked me in for another CT scan to make sure its not stones and he said it really didn't sound like a prostate problem.

I just don't know what to think and it's really getting me down. Any advice would be so very gratefully received.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I should also add that during my initial episode in 2013, it was thought I had Prostatitis and I was given 3 different courses of antibiotics over 4 months and none made a difference.
    • Posted

Hello mate can’t rite a long reply as saw this at work , I have had similar effects to you , I’m only 17! Initally started about 2 years ago following sex, I got discomfort in the tip of my penis, same as you suspected uti no std and antibiotics made it worse , pain progressed to pelvic pain. Ultrasound scans, prostate all negative you won’t find an answer through your gp. Pain Usually on the left side radiating down my leg or too my genitals. After seeing the top quality psysio over course of a year still no answer. Had pelvic floor internal exams. Nothing. . One question I have to you is do you have anxiety/ depression as I feel like it is closely linked to this. My pelvic area is closely linked to my anxiety in that I hold a lot of stress and tension in that area when im anxious. You need to listen to your body. And learn to let go. If holding tension is the case. I could tell you more if you think this resinates with you. Also Dont google your symptoms you won’t get an answer and it will only make you feel worse like it did me. My old physio just gave me a book to read I could show you. 
    • Posted

Hi George 

Thank you for your reply. I too have just started seeing a Phsyio and she is working on the theory that the problem lies in my lower back and is indeed muscle and/or nerve related. However, what you say certainly does resonate with me. I would say that I do hold quite a bit of tension and in turn this can lead to feelings of anxiety. I am a great believer in that the human mind can cause all sorts of physical problems but in turn you can never be 100% reassured that the physical feelings aren't something serious - then it's a vicious circle!

I feel that the initial problems or feelings are or were there - like the penis pain but then the mind fixates and the pain becomes chronic. Would you agree with this? 

As I've had this pain for periods of time before, there's a part of me that knows not to worry and that it will go in time but I always feel like those thoughts are fighting the 'what if it's something serious this time' thoughts. 

Anyway, how are you feeling at the moment? 

The book certainly sounds of interest George. 

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.