Pemphigus

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I am 51 old married Indian male with a 7 year old son and just been diagonised for pemphigus by A&E. Waiting to see Dermotologist next Monday. The blisters are quite huge on my feet and with pus on my sole and smaller itchy blister on my palm and wrist. Suggested to take 8 x 5mg of Prednisolone for 7 days. Two into taking the medicine and suffering for last 2-3 weeks now. How long does it take to cure? as travelling overseas on holiday at the end of the month and worried about the folks at the airport here and in India! seems to be Pemphigus Foliaceus as no oral symptons yet. Had Full blood count not sure of differential count and measured blood presurre. No biopsy or other specific test done yet.

Appreciate any views and or experience from others. Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shahs,

I have recently been diagnosed with pemphigus foliaceus after 3 months of constant itching. There is no known cure but there is treatment involving immuno-suppressant drugs which have serious side effectss as they lower or suppress system immunity. In my case, the dermatologist was 100% sure it was foliaceus. The lesions are predominantly on my legs and back with 1 or 2 blisters breaking every day. I have searched around for info and have come to the conclusion that if left untreated my condition will certainly be worse.

Regarding tests, a skin biopsy and several specific tests on a blood sample have to be carried out to the establish the type of antibody that is attacking the (glue/adherance) antigen on the skin cells. I suppose that by now these tests have already been performed in your case. Let me know how your condition develops. If you opt for immuno-suppressants and related vaccinations and you're planning to travel to India you have to consider the environment where you will be staying to avoid catching infections due to lower immunity.

• Posted

many thanks Reef for your detailed and helpful reply. My condition has been diagonsed as Bullous Phemphgoid in July 2011 and currently I am on 5mg steroid and 50 immuno suppreasant plus calcium and vitamin D supplement. The blood test happens around once every 3 months. India was fine as I mostly stayed in a reasonably clean envionment. I am really hoping to get the steroid down by atleast 1 mg now. I was suggested to reduce steroid to 2.5 mg almost 3 months ago unfortunately that did not help so went back to 5mg streroid.

I had blisters on my head and used some kind of gel - this has helped. Yes the biospy helped to confirm the condition. I am not aware of any vaccination.for teh condition apart from the standard ones for travelling to India.

I do hope to get rid of this condition soon now. Once again many thanks for your detailed reply. Likewise goodluck with your condition and hope you get rid of this condition soon.

• Posted

It's good that your condition is responding to the steroid/immunity-suppressants. 5 mg of steroids is low and should pose no problem in terms of side effects. I'm interested to know how much you started with in july 2011.
  • Posted

Hi shas,

I have just found some interesting information regarding the treatment of pemphigoid. Several research papers mention that dapsone with or without the corticosteroid/immunity suppressants has been very effective in a significant number of cases. Your condition may have improved now but I thought this old medicine may be beneficial for you. I'm thinking of asking the consultant to prescribe it to me for pemphigus foliaceus.

dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol8num1/reviews/dapsone/wolf.html

• Posted

hi reef i cannot remember the exact dose but believe it was 40mg steriods and 150 mg immuno suppressants.
  • Posted

I have sent you some interesting info on the treatment of pemphigoid but the message is still awaiting approval (see above). I hope you find it useful.
  • Posted

Hi Shahs,

My Mom is also suspected of getting Bullous pemphigoid disease. Her test are under going and shall be having confirmation by next week. Are you aware of any good doctors/hospitals in India that are experts in treating this disease.

• Posted

Hi everyone I have bullous pemphigoid and cicatricial pemphigoid and am currently tapering the prednisolone. I am on 5mg daily and Methotrexate 10mg weekly but I am expecting that to be increased when I see the Consultant this week.

I also see Ophthalmologists who mentioned dapsone but my Dermatologist prefers to use methotrexate. I have been on the pred for almost 2 years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.