Pencil stools or worm like or bits and pieces - is it PI IBS

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have mentioned before I was diagnosed with semonella 6 months ago and my bowels are still

Not right.

I have all

Sorts of soft stools lots of small

Pieces some pencil some like worms and some a little bigger but never one solid piece.

Is this normal for ibs or PIIBS

I am so anxious and upset as it won't return to normal and now fearing colon cancer.

I do not have blood in my stools at all.

Sorry for the details

Please help it's been a bad day sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Not unusual to have small worm like stools with IBS in my experience. 

Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jan just wish one day I will have a normal movement cheers
  • Posted

Rhonda 

Sometimes after something like Semonella it can be something to do with tummy problems and the problems with your stools. Eventually everything should sort out and return to normal, although I would advise you discuss these problems with your GP. Espeially if you are passing blood or other problems.

Your GP could arrange for inspection of the colon to make sure all is ok. Just to put your concerns to rest talk to your GP

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob

No blood Thank goodness

I'm Going tomorrow to the gp

See if I can get some tests as I'm sick of the worry.

I can deal with it as long as I know it's nothing serious - after 6 months and nothing normal yet I'm just starting to worry

Thanks again

• Posted

I have had pencil like, soft stools with IBS.  PI IBS is still IBS; the only difference is the cause. My IBS is entirely stress related.  Don't worry if your stools don't return to normal; with IBS they will vary depending on whether you have IBS C,D or A.  The more you worry, the worse your symptoms will be.  The key to controlling your symptoms is to accept IBS, adjust your diet if necessary and take painkillers and antispasmodic medication.

• Posted

I don't think I've passed a normal looking stool for at least 5 years.  Not at all uncommon to experience weird shaped stool.  I've seen so many different shapes, sizes, floaters and clunkers, etc. including mucus.  All part of the nasty IBS condition. Don't fret it because the more you "chew that bone" the worse it gets.  

Talk about a bad day (sorry for you cause I know what that's like), I had a flash flare in our Super WalMart.  Nightmare finding the bathrooms and I think I haven't walked so fast in 15 years.  Just made it. 

Hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply it's just so upsetting when you go each day and it's not normal but it helps when I hear I'm not alone. I hope you are much better these days - take care

• Posted

Dear frazzled--yours is a familiar tale.  Lately, when I am in the IBS mode, I have developed the reconnaissance​ habit, meaning I first scope out where the nearest facility is wherever I go--especially in a big place like Walmart.  Better yet, if I am having symptoms that day, I avoid any place that large.  And they call this living!
    • Posted

Execellent plan.  Thanx for this.  I'll do that in the future for sure.  Don't want to be frightened like I was ever again. 

• Posted

Attacks of IBS produce stools that are anything but solid appearing.  There can be pieces and strings of mucus that resemble little worms.  The "pencil stools" could be alleviated with more fibre in the diet.  That's what a GI physician suggested to me years ago when I briefly experienced them.  I have had periods of IBS at various times in my life and then years in between when I had no such symptoms.  When I was a young woman in my twenties, I was troubled with it for many months and had all the diagnostic tests.  The abdominal cramps were so severe that I nearly passed out from the pain.  I was given a medication called Lomotil that helped stop the cramping but made me so woozie and drugged-up feeling that I had the idea it was probably not easy on the heart.  Fortunately, I had the heart of a race horse then but I certainly would not take that drug now--if they still make it.  For the past year or so, in addition to other very distressing Upper GI symptoms, I have been having attacks of IBS after about seven years of none.  Between that and having difficulty eating, my life has become rather like sitting on Hell's front porch.  The cramps are not nearly as severe as those I experienced in my twenties--except the very first episode months ago when the pain was awful--like old times.  I think I have read that, following any kind of food poisoning, one can have IBS for some time, even if one has never been a victim of it previously.

?I think it's fair to say that the cause of IBS can vary with the individual.  I am a believer in the genetic component and know that my family seems to be strong in some ways but weak in the GI department.  My father was chronically plagued by ulcers and nearly died of a perforated stomach right after WWII.  He had been a prisoner throughout and, lucky for him, he was working with the American forces there in Germany when it happened and received good medical treatment.  My younger sister was a victim of Crohn's Disease since her youth and suffered cruelly from that awful condition.  I found it was in my DNA, as well, but somehow my body has been able to fight that off. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply so good to hear from people's who've had the same experiences. You feel so alone hope you are doing better now

• Posted

You wrote:

"my life has become rather like sitting on Hell's front porch." and "I feel like I'm Knocking on Heavens Door."    smile

Every now a then a bit of humor helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.